Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Ram 3500 I6, H/O, Aisin Transmission, 4x4 Dually, Crew Cab Long Bed.
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all, i’ve been reading on many forms to include this one that one would want to use a fuel station that moves high volumes amount of diesel.

My question is do you use the pull throughs for the big rigs to get your fuel which I believe are high pressure fuel stations, I could be wrong (I have been told those are not the best to use for smaller diesels, something about hose/ tank pressure). Or do you use the small vehicle automotive side where cars and trucks fill up their gas? I’d just pull up to a diesel pump.

Thoughts?

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
White Lightning
12,771 Posts
There’s no difference in the diesel at the “car” lanes vs the “truck” lanes. The truck lanes do, however, offer bulk DEF at the pump, which makes purchasing DEF much more convenient. The truck lanes also offer more maneuverability if towing larger trailers than when at the car lanes.

I run commercially, and when towing, always use the truck lanes. My Cab & Chassis has dual tanks (22+52) so I take advantage of the faster fill times with the higher volume truck pumps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Gsbrockmam ; thank you

Respectfully
Chris

·
Registered
2020 3500 HO 4x4 SRW CCLB
478 Posts
When I am towing the toys I always use the truck lanes. Hard to get around most passenger vehicle pumps with 76' of gear.

It sucks when someone blocks your egress and you have to back up doubles.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I buy most of my fuel at CFN pumps. Whenever we’re towing our travel trailer (usually interstate) I refuel at Pilot/Flying J (which usually have a separate RV pump). I’ve never gotten a bad tank of fuel from either (over the past 35 years) and I pay for it by the month.

While our Rams can be refueled with either size of fuel nozzle, I prefer the smaller size but the larger size fits too (just use what’s available).

·
Registered
324 Posts
I only use the truck lane when I need DEF its so much cheaper compared to the jugs also don;t like waiting for the big rigs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pay for it by the month.
Good morning. Thank you for the above comment. I do have one question, what did you mean when you said “I pay for it by the month”.

You have me wondering if I’m really missing something, ha.

Respectfully
Chris

·
Registered
2014 2500, carli commuter, suncoast category 4 68rfe, ATS 6000 compounds, CTT tuning
148 Posts
Good morning. Thank you for the above comment. I do have one question, what did you mean when you said “I pay for it by the month”.

You have me wondering if I’m really missing something, ha.

Respectfully
Chris

He probably has a fuel card of some sort that has a monthly billing cycle like a credit card does.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oooh snap... so this raised another question for another thread....

Respectfully
Chris

·
Registered
430 Posts
Here in NJ we don't pump our own fuel.
However some stations won't pump diesel. So then it becomes self serve. I was using one particular station and used the commercial pump. Larger nozzle and pumped out fuel a lot faster. One day the regular attendant wasn't there and when i pulled up to the pump the guy starts yelling at me not to use the commercial pump. Come over and use the car lane pump.
Then he tells me the commercial pump won't shut off if you put it on fill up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here in NJ we don't pump our own fuel.
However some stations won't pump diesel. So then it becomes self serve. I was using one particular station and used the commercial pump. Larger nozzle and pumped out fuel a lot faster. One day the regular attendant wasn't there and when i pulled up to the pump the guy starts yelling at me not to use the commercial pump. Come over and use the car lane pump.
Then he tells me the commercial pump won't shut off if you put it on fill up.
Hmmmm. Good to know... There maybe some there stations like this around the country... I’ll certainly keep an eye out for this...

I appreciate your feedback.

Respectfully
Chris

·
Registered
17,657 Posts
I always try to use the normal "car" pumps, as it seems quicker and easier. Plus, I'm not holding up anyone trying to make a living.
That's with gooseneck trailers up to 38 feet. But as Brutal pointed out, pulling doubles changes a lot of things.

Reactions: dsol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Always the truck pumps for me. I also get a huge discount using them with my fleet card so there's that. It's just generally easier too. Can be a pain when the dude in front of you pulls up and takes about 30 years to do whatever he's doing inside but what are ya gonna do? Price is right and bulk DEF.

·
White Lightning
12,771 Posts
I always try to use the normal "car" pumps, as it seems quicker and easier. Plus, I'm not holding up anyone trying to make a living.
That's with gooseneck trailers up to 38 feet. But as Brutal pointed out, pulling doubles changes a lot of things.
Your consumer dollars spend just as well as some trucking company’s fuel card.

Wanna talk about holding up anyone trying to make a living? How about Hadji inside the bathroom, washing his feet in the sink. That is what will hold up one making a living, along with the assss*hat guy that’s too big of a lard-asss slob, wearing shorts, tank top, and flip flops, to park his truck in actual truck parking, instead pulling to a pump, buying $0.00 in fuel, then coming back out with Zingers and a Diet Coke.

·
Registered
288 Posts
He probably has a fuel card of some sort that has a monthly billing cycle like a credit card does.
+1. CFN = Commercial Fueling Network. They issue fuel cards (similar to a credit card). I receive my bill at beginning of the following month and they debit my checking account automatically on the 10th of the month.

I use my Pilot/Flying J fuel card when I’m RVing for the convenience of them being close to the Interstate.

I haven’t purchased fuel at any other location for over thirty years.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Years ago it was always Flying J now its mostly Loves there are a lot of them on our way out to AZ and there easy to get into with our little rig.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Love's are generally nicer and sometimes I'm willing to pay that premium, as my fuel card doesn't discount their fuel. T/A's are next in comfort but it's very hit or miss with Pilot and Flying J following right behind. Overall, I've noticed it's pretty state-dependent rather than which particular company. I think we answered the OPs question lol. Use the truck island or don't but it's not bad for your truck at all. If anything better due to the high volume that goes through there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I travel with my 5er I prefer to use smaller stations and avoid the truck stops if possible. Flying J, Pilot, etc are overpriced compared to regular stations and charge extra to use a Credit card. (Fleece the commercial operators) Also, it is a pain in the rear to use the truck stops because most will not accept a regular credit card at the pump. You have to go in wait for all the people buying junk food and lottery tickets, put down a deposit, fill your tank, go back in get change, or sign for credit ard. Big pain in the ass!!!

·
Registered
17,657 Posts
Also, it is a pain in the rear to use the truck stops because most will not accept a regular credit card at the pump. You have to go in wait for all the people buying junk food and lottery tickets, put down a deposit, fill your tank, go back in get change, or sign for credit ard.
It can be a bit irritating to have to swipe the card for a third time at the regular pumps, especially if the weather is bad, to get the tank completely filled. But on the bright side, there's no need to go inside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts