Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 97 3500 4x4 stick and the fuel shutoff solenoid has "issues". The rod that comes off the linkage that goes into the bottom of the piston occasionally comes out which means either it does not start or shut off. I called and Cummins wants $300+ for a replacement. Can they be repaired or is it a toss and replace? I've adjusted it per directions found here (thank you Joe!!). Any hints please.

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
they can be found alot cheaper, ive seen them on a few sites going for less than half that!

Still not very 'cheap' though...

If the thing is sliding right out of the housing it sounds like you have it adjusted too tight (rod too short)

I had the same thing happen on one of our 4bt's (same solenoid) when it was adjusted too tight. It would release and the piston would pop out of the housing!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just put a Cable on it and forget it. That's what a lot of us do.

I bought a PTO cable from Tractor Supply. I has a big red knob that says PULL to STOP! :thumbsup

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
If all else fails, yea its not a bad idea to just put a cable on it and forget about it!

Thats what we have been doing with our drills. They were originally electronic controlled p-pumps (via solenoid shutoff and electronic throttle control) but they are slowly becoming a big PITA and we are ditching the electronics for oldschool cables or rod/levers!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuel solenoid shutoff diagram/details

Hi, does anyone have detailed instructions (with pics?) that shows details on adjusting the fuel solenoid? I have the 5 or 6 step sheet I found here, but I'm hoping someone has details/tips on adjusting this puppy??

Thank you all for your time and input. This forum has saved my hind end many times (and pocketbook)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts