Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted several questions regarding the fuel shutoff solenoid and it stills causes me issues. I have removed the rubber boot because it had deteriorated and I thought it perhaps was getting caught in the spring mechanism. I’ve cleaned the inside of the solenoid, the piston and spring and adjusted the piston rod length according to the instructions (with the key in the on position and pulling the piston up manually). The system works fine the first time, but frequently the rod will fall out of the piston after turning the motor off obviously causing the truck to not start. I've read until my eyes hurt trying to figure out why this is happening. Does the rubber boot provide a means for the rod and piston to stay together? Am I missing a spring somewhere else? I don’t see where anything is missing from the documentation that I can find (rod, piston, and a spring).
Hopefully, this is something easy and the truck does not hate me, or it’s time to put in a manual cable (Joe G mentions using a inner tube-does anyone have details on what that involves?).

Thanks,
paul

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Cut a piece to fit and use a couple of tie wraps to hold it in place.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joe, thanks for the quick response. So, is the rubber suppose to hold the rod against the piston when the key is off?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Yeah, the rubber has two jobs, keep dirt out and keep the rod from falling out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe,
Thanks...and on the way home last nite from work was a small trailer tire inner tube in the road...worked great and think it's now fixed. I've been playing with this thing for about a year now. Nothing I read stated or hinted that the boot had two purposes. I thought it was only a dust cover. Now I know.
I thank you ever so much!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts