Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Shutoff Solenoid electrical issue

35790 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  cummins_mike
Ok, did a search, but couldn't find what I needed. Fuel shutoff sol will not pull up at all, and will not lock at all (even manually). Here's what I can tell you:
Solenoid works perfect if I jump it out to battery voltage at its' connector, no prob
Blue wire at the battery checked, not corroded, has juice after the fusible link
Shut off relay gets battery juice, but will not get anything to the other terminals when the key is turned on (same thing with the relay next to it)
Anyone have any suggestions? I have a CD with the trucks wiring diagram, but of course I can't find it right now.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Remove your steering column cover and check for wires pulled loose from their connectors.
Could also be a blown fuse, I'm not sure which one though.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove your steering column cover and check for wires pulled loose from their connectors.
Could also be a blown fuse, I'm not sure which one though.
Checked the fuses, negative. Checked under the column, and all looks good. Does anyone have the full wiring diagram for the solenoid (all wires from the fuses to the solenoid)?
I've already seen this diagram:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/a...-shutoff-solenoid-starter_curcuit_diagram.jpg
I need one that shows the full circuit.

· Registered
15 Posts
Blue wire

How do I go about installing a fusible link for my fuel shut off solenoid a my 98 5.9? Thanks CF fans.

· Registered
314 Posts
If the relay gets juice but isnt allowing it through itself.. replace relay. genos garages has them for cheap.

One wire has ignition on power to hold up solenoid when driving, One wire gets juice when you crank the motor to pull up the solenoid, power is cut off when you turn ignition off to kill the motor.

1, pull the plug, get a light tester, test to see if you get ignition on power, If not, its a wire or fuse problem.

2, If you have power when the ignition is on, have a friend try cranking the truck and check the other two wires, one of those, (mabye the red one) should be getting alot of power when the truck is cranking, If it doesn't check the fuses or wiring.

· Registered
101 Posts
I found mine doing the same thing and it was the HD relay was bad. It would test OK with the test light but wasn't allowing enough current through the contacts. Replaced it with one from LarryB's and have a second one in the glove box, just in case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.