Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day after I bought my truck in January, I was on vancouver island and the truck wouldn't start. I knew even less about diesels then tan I do now which isn't much. It cost me $500.00 to get it diagnosed and a new solenoid installed. Now it is intermittent when trying to start.Sometimes I have to turn the key from run to start a few times to get the solenoid to hold the arm up. If I turn the switch to run then push up on the solenoid plunger it will sty up so it looks like it's the starter circuit part of the solenoid that is not working.
Is it very common to have an intermittent solenoid relay or do the relays mostly just work or fail?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
take it apart and clean it. very common problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I wont get a couple. Up here they are $54 plus 12% tax and whatever enviro bull fees the wacko government wants to add. Will any 70 amp Bosch style relay work?
Once I get it going I'll work on putting a push-pull cable in and making it manual shut off. Can't believe they put a multi component electric circuit in to shut down a completely manual operating engine. I can see the electric starter rather than a hand crank out the front, but what would be wrong with a pull to stop Knob?

·
Registered
17,071 Posts
Doesn't Genos do international shipping? IMO a cable is a cheesy, red-neck fix.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Doesn't Genos do international shipping? IMO a cable is a cheesy, red-neck fix.
Yezzzzz.

I dont mind manual shut off, what bothers me is something being non factory.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I’ve been Red Necky, Cheesy and NonFactory for years. Love every minute of it.:laugh:

·
Registered
517 Posts
It might be nice to install one as a backup plan?? Keep the electric, but if it fails, you don’t have to wire/tie it up until you get home.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Looks like I wont get a couple. Up here they are $54 plus 12% tax and whatever enviro bull fees the wacko government wants to add. Will any 70 amp Bosch style relay work?
Once I get it going I'll work on putting a push-pull cable in and making it manual shut off. Can't believe they put a multi component electric circuit in to shut down a completely manual operating engine. I can see the electric starter rather than a hand crank out the front, but what would be wrong with a pull to stop Knob?
I have a pull cable on one truck. one bad thing is that the cable transmits noise into the cab. also leave it out when parked on a hill and in gear to stop the possibility of the engine starting.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I have a pull cable on one truck. one bad thing is that the cable transmits noise into the cab. also leave it out when parked on a hill and in gear to stop the possibility of the engine starting.
Or when your tractor gets stuck in the mud, so you push it out with the backhoe and it starts and drives away :doh:

Mechanical fuel injection makes for great stories...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for those replies.

Well I never owned a diesel pickup before, but every Cat dozer, grader or loader and every tractor-trailer I ever operated had a manual shut off. Of course I'm showing my age, I assume they are all key-off now.

Genos may do international shipping, but to get something here there's duty, brokerage, handling charges and freight from the big island to Pender. Every stop has an extra charge. Wasn't too bad getting things sent up by mail but Canada post has started to follow what UPS and the others are doing and adding enough extra charges to make it not worth ordering across the line.

Just checked Genos: relay - $13.95;
shipping - $37.85.

Push pull cable with twist lock at parts store - $ 21.95. If I wasn't cummins diesel ignorant, I would have installed the cable last January and saved myself $500+ and the trouble I'm going through now.

And, I am a redneck.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My relay failed first, then the solinoid a few months later. Put the cable on a few years ago and never looked back. The fss circuit pulls 30 amps to start, then a continuous 10 amps while the truck is running. The cable is simple, cheap and reliable. I don't care what GAmes thinks.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Or when your tractor gets stuck in the mud, so you push it out with the backhoe and it starts and drives away :doh:

yep been there done that with a timberjack log skidder. just not stuck in the mud.

·
Registered
736 Posts
There's a lot to be said for no wires needed to run your truck. Mechanical rules for reliability.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can see wanting to keep it stock if the rest of the truck was. I wouldn't want to install a cable into a new truck I just overpaid the dealer for. But, once one changes all the steering assembly, puts a lift in, adds larger tires, modifies the Aneroid Fuel Control, installs those idiotic A pillar gauge pods so the driver has to lean around the pillar to see around a corner, add an exhaust brake, install a one piece drive shaft, change the hubs, modify the FWD engagement, install a headache rack with side rails and adds a sound system with GPS, what's the difference?

I've never had a problem with a fuel shut-off cable or lever, once it's off it stays off, once it's on it stays on. I suppose if one shut the truck off then moved the fuel shut-off to on, then hooked a cable to the truck and dragged it up to 20MPH and had some one let out the clutch, it might accidentally start.

Sorry I got off topic, Thank you for the replies, this is a very informative and helpful site. Just reading the 'read this first' sections answered a lot of my questions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was mistaken about the cost. Sidney BC is the closest town to where I live that has parts stores. I called Lordco auto parts, $110.00. After I recovered from shock, I called NAPA $115.00. Unbelievable but true.

My buddies from Texas don't believe what it cost me to restore my old Pontiac, I'll send them the quotes for this, they may change their minds.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Be carfull with the low cost solenoids on ebay. I considered them, but have read they do not last. I do not worry about my 2 20 year old trucks being stock. They are not even close.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Or when your tractor gets stuck in the mud, so you push it out with the backhoe and it starts and drives away

yep been there done that with a timberjack log skidder. just not stuck in the mud.
Good thing i was too lazy to grab a chain, otherwise that would have been ugly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts