Cummins Diesel Forum banner

fuel shim question

920 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ksseabrd 
#1 ·
I just took my stock intake horn and spent three hrs grinding it out since I can't afford an aftermarket one right now, I also hogged out the grid heater to match. It is amazing how much larger the opening is now. MY question is would it do any good to shim the fuel pressure reg if I only have the stock pump etc? I've seen a lot of it on the forums but don't know if I should waste my time without upgrading to a better pump system or whatever. I was told I need a mp3 or 8 (don't remember which), to get the full advantage of my edge on no. 6 which lays down if I don't set it where it don't defuel or anything. thanks again.

#2 ·
If you get an MP-8 you will have to shim, or get a plug, for the fuel rail. You will get 2 or ore codes if you don't.

#4 ·
IDK about the edge but even w/factory fueling w/the MP-8 you will need to. The hit & miss may be the rev limiter but IDK what the grinding sound would be.

#5 ·
shim it while your there, cant hurt, but i dont recommend plugging it, then there is no fail safe

#8 ·
Shimming and plugging are basically the same thing.

Technically when shimmed, the FRV can still release pressure, but the pressure would have to be VERY high, probably well over 30-35K. Your fuel system will never get there. And if it got close, most likely something else would fail first.

The plug cost more, but is quicker to install, and no chance of messing up your FRV. Plus you still have your FRV if you need it.

Also, if you damage or loose anything on your FRV, when shimming, they are $400 + from the dealer.

I plugged mine. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.