Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get to this sensor. There is a bracket coming off the motor that blocks any wrench from getting back there. Is there any instructions y'all could help me with getting back in there? Or do you recommend having the dealer do the replacement?

TIA!

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
i do recommend the dealer doing it

but, to answer the question, a long, flex head 1/2 inch ratchet, with a deep 1 1/16 socket will do it...kind of a pain, and it's on there tighter than hell, but it's doable

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
Yes, from the top. You could also remove the complete rail if that suits you better. It's one of them jobs where you just have to man up and know something is fixing to bleed. Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, from the top. You could also remove the complete rail if that suits you better. It's one of them jobs where you just have to man up and know something is fixing to bleed. Lol

Ha! Either I bleed or my wallet does...got it :crying:

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
If all else fails you can jack the truck up and remove the tire and inner fender and have a pretty good angle on the sensor. I have done it this way before but I had an over head crane hooked to the truck and was able to stand up in the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
Just an fyi, the fuel rails are bad about leaking once you R&R a sensor or FPRV. Just be aware if there is a leak after you replace it, it's done. You can buy a complete rail with sensor for around 150 more than what the sensor alone cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an fyi, the fuel rails are bad about leaking once you R&R a sensor or FPRV. Just be aware if there is a leak after you replace it, it's done. You can buy a complete rail with sensor for around 150 more than what the sensor alone cost.

I think I'm going to try just taking the hoist bracket off and get the sensor off. Radical change of location from the 5.9L from what I can see, and I'm shocked that there are literally no videos online of "how to" for this booger.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I think I'm going to try just taking the hoist bracket off and get the sensor off. Radical change of location from the 5.9L from what I can see, and I'm shocked that there are literally no videos online of "how to" for this booger.
Well here's your time to be a movie star..... Make you a video....:stirpot:

·
Registered
31 Posts

every time i work on my truck, i have to wonder how much blood I'm going to drip on the motor. haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got it changed I went from the top. I first removed the engine lifting bracket that has 2 15mm bolts then I used a 1/2 in drive ratchet with a swivel head held the socket on the sensor with my left hand swiveled the arm towards the front and pushed down with my right hand and it popped loose. I had to push down a few good times to pop it loose but it came loose. Now the install well that was a little trickier but not bad this will take two people by the way. I have an over the engine creeper and I got on top and held the 27 mm socket straight on the sensor with a 3/8 drive torque wrench facing downward and my buddy went underneath and reached up and turned the torque wrench as I held the socket and I was able to ratchet the torque wrench backwards for him because you don't have a lot of room under there. I did consider taking the rail off but because theres more chances of leaks doing so I opted to try it this way. I torqued it to 52 ft. lbs. and I hope this fixes my P0191 FRP sensor circuit performance code.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I was driving today and the cel light came back on when I got off the highway. I got the P0191 frp circuit performance code again it looks like my rail pressure sensor is reading around 100 psi less then frp sensor command is. I may replace the pigtail or bring it to dodge and see if there's a flash update

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
is actual actually 100 psi less than desired all the time? as in you checked on a scanner while driving?

that 0191 code is a weird one, and the monitor for it is too...

and it can come down to an injector issue

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Dodgemech it is around 100 psi lower then the fuel pressure command reading at all rpms sometimes almost the same psi reading I get a p0191 and P051B which is a crankcase breather sensor circuit performance I heard the P051B needs to be cleared from dodge and regular scanner wont work that sounds strange to me idk Im gonna keep trying to figure this out I already replaced the crankcase breather filter and my crankcase pressure at idle is .77 psi and 2.13 Volts not sure if those are correct readings at idle??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m completely ignorant on most things mechanical. Help me out.
I took my truck into shop for sputtering, and trying to stall while idling. The mechanic “fixed it,” then 30 miles up the road, every trouble light imaginable came on. And there wasn’t much power from the engine. On top of that, the airbag light comes on sporadically, and while it is on, the AC stops blowing cold.
After I brought the truck back, they replaced the fuel rail sensor. I now feel like I have the power back, but all the lights come back on as soon as the engine gets warm enough. This is also affecting setting the cruise control.
Could all this be related to the mechanic just unplugging the fuel rail sensor the first time out? Or do I need to look for other issues?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts