Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel pump

855 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  TCDiesel
Is it bad for the fuel pump to run the truck below a quarter tank?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is one of those "depends on who you ask" questions.

I have seen many posts by people through the years saying how bad it is to run a tank below a quarter because it will cause the fuel pump to fail.

My personal experience has told me that its all hog wash. I have ran many a vehicle at or below a quarter tank and never lost a fuel pump.
G
Is it bad for the fuel pump to run the truck below a quarter tank?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
was that a serious question??:hehe::rof
Old wives tail that the fuel pump overheats when there is no fuel around it keeping it cool
Reactions: 1
+1 old wives tail. I have lost two over the years. First was in a 1/2 ton Suburban filled to the brim with 42 gallons of gas. Second was in a 3/4 ton Suburban but it had only 10 gallons in it. So in this admittedly limited data set, no correlation.
In extreme 90+_Heat it is unwise to run any CRHP system that drop below 5 gallons of fuel to cool the HP side of the high pressure pump and the GP will get hot and over time will cause unnecessary wear, SO no it won't hurt the intank pump, but the rest of the system needs cooling fuel.
Reactions: 1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.