Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my wife's 08 parked in the drive, and keys hung in the house, I hear the lift pump just humming away. When I open the driver's door, it immediately shuts off. It will start pumping again on its own about 40 minutes later. This routine continues until I disconnect the batteries.

This happened Friday afternoon. The engine light (the orange one) came on about five minutes before she parked in the drive earlier that day.

One Monday she took it to the dealer (who had never heard of this) and the only code it threw was 980 - supposedly dealing with turbo boost pressure sensing. I might have cleared codes by disconnecting the batteries. My wife did not hear it again that day until later in the day when she had been parked in the drive again.

We are taking it back to the dealer in the AM. I did not disconnect the batteries this time, and I hope they are not drained from pumping. I also hope the pump doesn't burn up.

Anyone heard of this? Thanks.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
sounds like a problem with the ECM/TIPM. They don't have relays or anything of the like to run the stock fuel pumps on the truck I don't believe (if they do it could be as simple as a relay contact wearing out so it's a closed circuit when it shouldn't be).

· Registered
475 Posts
no relays in that circuit, power for the lift pump goes straight to the tipm, :ditto: either ecm or tipm is trying to drive u nuts :banghead:

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
Totally Integrated Power Module

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New TIPM soved problem

Jeez. Thank goodness I have extra trucks. Took the dealer over a week to finally decide to replace the TIPM. Chrysler wouldn't allow them to replace it without doing all kinds of wiring checks first.

All Chrysler would do for a rental was $30/day. I told them that wouldn't rent me a bicycle in my town and they could keep it. Waste over a week of my time and $ (theirs too for that matter) chasing tail light wiring circuits, and then screw me on a rental too. Incredible. I'm not too impressed at all. Of course my batteries were drained down twice while running the pump. Not to mention that the pump may as well have been on a truck that drove 250 hours straight. Neither one of those issues were addressed.

I do have to say that the local dealer itself was decent - they just have there hands tied by Chrysler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.