Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any reason you cannot use gas fuel pumps for diesel engines for the lift pump i maen there are umpteen hp fuel pumps out there that could pump circles around these diesel pumps. i just used to mess with turbo sbf mustangs that use gobs of fuel. companies like aeromotive,weldon,magnafuel just to name a few.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is a very good reason you can't use a gas pump on diesel, the seals inside a gas pump might not stand up to the fuel itself. If you run diesel throught the gas pump you aren't covered under their warranty. Same reason you cant run gas in your truck. I know that when I was looking for a sender for the fuel pressure idiot light in my truck, the gas senders all came with warnings the read "Not for diesel". I finally went to the freightliner dealer and got one. For what you spend on one of the gas pumps, you are close to the Air Dog or FASS pump only set ups.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
A lot of guys run Aeromotive A-1000's and the Weldon equivalents. I know that those work, but it'd be wise to check for compatability on other pumps.

I don't know why they're not a more popular option than the AirDog's and FASS's that sell like hotcakes. Marketing, I guess.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
There is, check out the GDP Fuel Boss! This is a mechanical pump, driven off the creankshaft, that will meet any horsepower need. This is actually a fuel pump system, which includes the suppll & return lines, pickup tube assembly, wiring, competition bypass valve, pump, and other components. I have been running this pump for over two months now, runs great. Fuel psi goes up with rpm and you can custom tailor the fuel pressure with the competition tuning kit. I have mine set for 8 psi at idle and goes up to 30 psi at 2,200 rpm. Go to the Glacier Diesel website and check it out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yeah i was thinking aeromotive A1000 to for half the price of a fass and flow 4 times the fuel 600 lbs. per hour so in a sense you are only using it it a 1/4 of its efficiency. just a thought

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
yeah i was thinking aeromotive A1000 to for half the price of a fass and flow 4 times the fuel 600 lbs. per hour so in a sense you are only using it it a 1/4 of its efficiency. just a thought
It seems like every first gen over 450 HP has an A1000 on it... All 3 of them... :rof

As a rule of thumb, performance parts labelled "Diesel" are quite a bit more expensive than functionally similar parts labelled "Gas" or "big block". First genner's have no aftermarket support and have some experience sourcing parts from different suppliers...

The benefit of the FASS is that it comes with the high-flow filters (I know where filter heads can be purchased for $20 a piece) and that it "removes the suspended air from the fuel" (the efficacy of which I'm not entirely sold on). Oh, and I think that they're internally regulated too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts