Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friends is thinkin about either getting the Raptor 150 or the AirDog 150. He doesn't know which one would be better or the pros and cons between the two. He has a 2003 Cummins. And info or opinions about this would be great. :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Both will give you the fuel flow that you need. The AirDog will give you the 3 micron filtration that really helps the cause. It depends on your budget, if you have the extra green the airdog would be nice but if money is tight then go with the raptor. I have the FASS HPFP, the fass stand alone pump, with a caterpillar 2 micron fuel filter to give me a little more filtration.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Personally Id wait till they figure out the 1/4 tank issues which I hear should be soon

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
I havent had any 1/4 tank issues. I always drain the tank before installing the draw straw that way when the fuel is used the bottom of the tank rises and will come right near the pickup.

the Airdog definately gives superior filtration and air seperation. the Raptor is great for replacing the problematic stock pumps on these trucks. the Airdog is definately the best bang for the buck!:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If it is a 2003 just use the 100 GPH unit and pull through the stock tank pickup. The 100 GPH unit will support a very heavily modded CR. A 150 is not necessary for the majority of the users.

·
Registered
529 Posts
One of my friends is thinkin about either getting the Raptor 150 or the AirDog 150. He doesn't know which one would be better or the pros and cons between the two. He has a 2003 Cummins. And info or opinions about this would be great. :thumbsup
I will probably only go with the 100 GPH, but im in the same boat as your friend. Dont know if I want the Airdog or Raptor. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea put he is planning on going huge after a couple of years +600 HP

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
If it is a 2003 just use the 100 GPH unit and pull through the stock tank pickup. The 100 GPH unit will support a very heavily modded CR. A 150 is not necessary for the majority of the users.
Right, but are you talking about using the AD or Raptor?
If you use the AD you'll need to plumb it's return line into your canister or you'll have problems down near ¼ tank...

... ask me how I know! :CRY:

The Raptor will still give you tons of fuel but will not drain your canister and you won't have to mess around with a return line. You WILL lose the extra filtration and air extraction though (if you believe all that stuff).

I'll be dropping the tank again and putting a draw straw into the canister for the AD return.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Right, but are you talking about using the AD or Raptor?
If you use the AD you'll need to plumb it's return line into your canister or you'll have problems down near ¼ tank...

... ask me how I know! :CRY:

The Raptor will still give you tons of fuel but will not drain your canister and you won't have to mess around with a return line. You WILL lose the extra filtration and air extraction though (if you believe all that stuff).

I'll be dropping the tank again and putting a draw straw into the canister for the AD return.
I have never had a problem with a 100GPH unit and low fuel unless they are used with a stand pipe.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
with the crappy fuel we have now i would suggest the Airdog just for the added security, everyday i hear about people getting water in the fuel then the dealer voiding their warranty b/c of contaminated fuel. not to mention most people pick up another 1-3 mpg w/ it as well.

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
I have never had a problem with a 100GPH unit and low fuel unless they are used with a stand pipe.
Did you use the factory canister, factory supply?
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2004.5 dodge and I just ordered the air dog 150, industrial injection 150 gph cp3, and 50hp industrial injectors. The question is. With the AD can I bypass stock fuel filter? Or is that not a good idea?

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
Most people (including me) DO bypass the stock filter and take the ½" hose right to the CP3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanx for the info. The reason I asked, is that I read somewhere the AD filters extends the life of stock filter. But if I can bypass and create less resistance, all the better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i just ordered the Airdog 150. Its back-ordered. Not surprised.

·
Registered
166 Posts
looking into the airdog. will it help my setup? is it worth the money in the long run?

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
looking into the airdog. will it help my setup? is it worth the money in the long run?
Yes, it will help the truck by providing a steady flow of fuel and eliminating air and water from plus you get a lifetime warranty to boot.

James
RSD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts