Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I recently purchased a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 I bought it in Ohio I live in Florida I travel a lot and bought a big truck for a camper SO I know little about diesels but I’m haveing fuel issues I’m supposing I’m trying to fix it before I leave from Florida to Cali when I bought the truck and drove it to FL it did fine fuel pressure stayed between 14-16 psi well when I was heading to Cali I got about 4 hours in and my fuel pressure dropped to 0-3 so I pulled over and someone at Napa told me my fuel pump was bad in the tank so I replaced that that fixed nothing new filters on my FASS 150 still nothing replaced the FASS 150 pump it’s doing better 21-16 in park but when I drive it fluctuates 16psi down to 3psi when I accelerate, I have no idea what to do & it has the juice with attitude that’s how I monitor it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What setting is the jwa on? Maybe the fuel pressure relief valve or fp sending unit? I'm assuming since you said you replaced a pump in the tank it has a pusher pump not the puller Carter and filter any longer correct?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do you still have your factory filter up on the block?
Some installers delete it, some keep it.
I still have mine. So i replace that filter as well.
And i have seen crud get to it also.
Which, the crud isnt your fuel issue, i just threw that bit in for free.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wait....you said you have a FASS ..AND...inTank pump? That dont add up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Completely bypassed from stock has the pump in the tank to the lift pump on the frame & I run the jwa on mileage

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has the fuel pump in the tank & then it it goes to the FASS 150 lift pump bypasses the block filter and pump lift on the block

·
Registered
126 Posts
Photobucket if you upgraded when they went all nazi, I use tapatalk on some other forums

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would completely delete that and run it straight to the pump. To me that's just a place for restrictions, leaks, and something to cause issues. I havent messed with a vp truck for quite some time but I'm pretty sure on mine it just had a fass running to the VP. The other one I had just had a raptor on the block as it was mostly stock. None if mine every had the upgraded pump in the tank though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There shouldnt be a pump in the tank...and....a pump on the frame rail(FaSS).
It should be one, or the other.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I really really dislike the idea of the FASS pulling thru the intank pump.
The in-tank pump cant match the FASS, thereby creating a restriction on the FASS.
Not saying it is your problem, but am saying...i strongly expect it to drastically shorten the life of your FASS, and...
Could see where there is very strong potential for that restriction to cause weird pressure readings.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I really really dislike the idea of the FASS pulling thru the intank pump.
The in-tank pump cant match the FASS, thereby creating a restriction on the FASS.
Not saying it is your problem, but am saying...i strongly expect it to drastically shorten the life of your FASS, and...
Could see where there is very strong potential for that restriction to cause weird pressure readings.
I could definitely see it affecting the fass negatively since it's most likely working twice as hard as usual now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How would i go about deleting it? The guy I bought it from had the same set up since 07. I’m not to sure but the pump in the tank was to get it to the FASS 150 lift pump witch that’s makes the pressure like I said I’m not to sure this is my first diesel but he’s had the truck since 02 and I have all the receipts since then but everything was redone engine wise @470,000 currently has 527,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are you sure it's not an issue with the ejwa since it's been ran that way for so long? Also you should be able to just pull that pump out and run that 1/2in line into the fass

1 - 20 of 23 Posts