Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all well tanks for the diagnosis on the VP44, but now i have a new problem (2002 ram 3500) i just have the VP 44 changed and yesterday i went to do my normal service (oil and fuel) when i changed my fuel filter i could not get it to start.... here is how i did it: i drained the canester pulled out the fuel filter, closed valve installed new one bumped te starter saw 5 PSI on my gauge on the VP44 the pump ran 25 seconds. so a then started the truck the truck ran 5 seconds and died... after that i continued to bump the starter eventually i saw 14-15 PSI but it did not do that every time. I then cracked the bolt on the VP44 where my gauge is, bumped the starter and saw no air so closed it and again it would not start... so a guy at the shop where i work said just shoot a bit of either in it shure enough a very small shot and it started.....

why? did this happen, did i do somthing wrong?
anyone have COMPLETE instructions for this... I NEVER WANT TO USE EITHER AGAIN!!!

my lift pump changed not even a year ago, has 12.5-15 PSI at idle and light accelleration 10 PSI

Thoughts?
Also how do you get all the sedement from the bottom of the canester out?

THANKS!!!

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow thanks... so does (usually) just changing the filter just take one key stroke or Bump(pump runs 25 seconds) to do it before it can be started or does it take a few times? whats your personal experience i see that you have a 2002 as well?

also how do you go about cleaning the sedement at the bottom of the fuel canester? any tips/ tricks?

thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
With the air bleed in the banjo in the VP, all that is needed is bumping the fuel pump to push out the air.

Don't try to crank until full pressure has been reached. You are just seeing the base resistance to the air purge at 5 psi.

Dave

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks... but still how do you clean out the sedement in the filter housing... or do you just leave it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no one cleans the housing out?

there has to be a good way of doing it... i cant get my hand in far enough!

·
Registered
107 Posts
use a brush and carb clean then air it out make sure all carb clean is gone .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts