Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
everyone says 2nd gen vehicles. w/minor mods, should use 10 micron fuel filters, rather than 7 or even 2 micron. I have 2001, 1/2 in fuel line from tank to IP, OEM pump mounted on frame rail and maintain 13lbs idle and 9 lbs WOT. gauge is reading at the IP. surely with this volume, a 6-7 micron would still allow sufficient fuel to flow to cool and lube IP. thx to all. above numbers with OEM 10 micron filter. truck has power puck, bhaf and 4" magnaflow system.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody wonders about this???

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know about everyone saying the 10 micron filter is better. If you can maintain pressure..the smaller filter is always preferred. I run a 20 micron filter/water seperator followed by a 2 micron final filter.

My pressure stays between 12 to 15psi which is really all that matters. If I could keep that pressure and run a .5 micron filter..that's what I would do. With a VP44 pump..smaller is better (filter-wise).
Mike

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
everyone says 2nd gen vehicles. w/minor mods, should use 10 micron fuel filters, rather than 7 or even 2 micron. I have 2001, 1/2 in fuel line from tank to IP, OEM pump mounted on frame rail and maintain 13lbs idle and 9 lbs WOT. gauge is reading at the IP. surely with this volume, a 6-7 micron would still allow sufficient fuel to flow to cool and lube IP. thx to all. above numbers with OEM 10 micron filter. truck has power puck, bhaf and 4" magnaflow system.
I've got the exact same fuel system with AirDog 150 and 1/2" line all the way from tank to VP44 and I'm hold ing 16.5 to 17.5 PSI constant with a 2 micron filter. Even at WOT with my Edge Comp cranked up on 5x5... :thumbsup

(Pic is clickable) :w:

Stock carter pumps just can't push the fuel as you need... With my old carter pump it was about the same... Idling @ 14 PSI and WOT @ 10-11 PSI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts