Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Pressure test

1302 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Omahastylin16
Im looking at getting into a cummins soon. I found one locally at a dealership. Its a 2001 Dodge ram SLT Ex Cab, long box 2500 auto trans. it has 112,000 miles on it and they want 15000 for it, First question is this a good price or what should i offer, next question is i would like to make sure that the VP44 hasn't been starving for fuel, how do i do a fuel pressure test, or do i take it to someone or ask if they could do it there at the dealership. I just want to cover my butt if i buy it then a week or two later i have to drop a couple grand at it because the VP44 died.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
you need to put a load on the truck when you test the pressure. my stock pump would idle at 14 but under load would drop to 2 and stay there. this was not good but my vp44 is feeling better now that i put on the fass ddrp

also if you can do it yourself a new vp44 is running just over 1,000

· Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well do i take it to a independent shop to have it tested or what do i do? I would like to have it tested before buying it.....And i probably could do it myself or a buddy of mine is a diesel mechanic for CAT and i know he would do it for a case or two of "pop"

· Registered
78 Posts
Im looking at getting into a cummins soon. I found one locally at a dealership. Its a 2001 Dodge ram SLT Ex Cab, long box 2500 auto trans. it has 112,000 miles on it and they want 15000 for it, First question is this a good price or what should i offer, next question is i would like to make sure that the VP44 hasn't been starving for fuel, how do i do a fuel pressure test, or do i take it to someone or ask if they could do it there at the dealership. I just want to cover my butt if i buy it then a week or two later i have to drop a couple grand at it because the VP44 died.
15K seems a bit high. I would take it to an independent and have it checked out.

· Registered
250 Posts
yeah, you cant trust the dealer to test anything, they just wanna sell the truck, take it to your mechanic and ask him to look it over for you, tell him you're concerned about fuel pressure, condition of the transmission, and the front end

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.