Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I haven't posted up here in a while, but I've been lurking. I just installed a set of Isspro gauges (Boost, Fuel PSI, and EGT) in my '01. I plumbed the fuel pressure into the side of the injection pump. I replaced the stock banjo bolt with the schrader valve test port on it with a tapped one for my fuel line. That's plumbed into a Diesel Manor isolator, then up to the gauge. My question is, what should my fuel pressure reading be at this location? Everywhere I've looked takes the readings at the bottom of the fuel filter housing. If need be I'll move the line, but if I can find out what the safe range is at the side of the injection pump, I'll leave it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
10 to 20 psi. My fass used to supply 15 @ idle and 13 @ WOT. I decided I would feel better with more pressure so I bumped it up to 19 @ idle and 17 @ WOT.

·
Registered
251 Posts
:agree2: Safe fuel psi readings are the same no matter if you tap it at the pump or clean side of filter housing. shoot for 10-20 psi. My ddrp and hi-flow banjo bolts push 15-16 idle and 10 wot.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I used Vulcan big 1/2 inch line and fittings, the one that goes into the vp was tapped, then flex rubber fuel line to isspro mechanical sender, which has two sides, one fuel the other coolant, i get a steady 17 psi, and 14 wot, with DDRP frame mounted by tank, and 1/2 inch line from tank to filter, and filter to pump. Pressure should be the same no matter where you tap, as long as after pump. Be careful of VP pulses, they can ruin sending units that don't use a fluid buffer. Mine has been good for 2 years no prob. The Vulcan kit comes with bracket to mount pump on frame and quality AN fittings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I took the truck for a ride and was getting 11-12 and 5-6 at WOT. I thought the stock lift junk took a crap again but I called up Keystone Diesel and realized I needed to bleed the antifreeze side of the isolator. Now I've got a steady 13 at idle, 10-11 at WOT. I think I still need to bleed it some more cause it'll fluctuate every now and again. I still want an AirDog though.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Thanks everyone. I took the truck for a ride and was getting 11-12 and 5-6 at WOT. I thought the stock lift junk took a crap again but I called up Keystone Diesel and realized I needed to bleed the antifreeze side of the isolator. Now I've got a steady 13 at idle, 10-11 at WOT. I think I still need to bleed it some more cause it'll fluctuate every now and again. I still want an AirDog though.
That is why I went with an electric gauge. 3 years and not a single issue. I run 27 psi idle and 19 psi WOT. I run two pumps.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dang! How long you been running that 27 psi?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a stock lift pump that runs 19-21 psi at an idle and between 15 to 17 constant. It's only got about 40k mi. on it though.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have a stock lift pump that runs 19-21 psi at an idle and between 15 to 17 constant. It's only got about 40k mi. on it though.

HMMMMM?????:confused013: If your running those pressures there is no way you have a Carter lift pump, especially one with 40 grand on it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
:agree2: I've never seen, heard, or even thought it was possible for a carter to push that. Either your gauge is bad off or it's not a stock lp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts