Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my fuel pressure gauge all hooked up this past week and was running about 17/18psi at idle and barely getting over 20psi when driving... altho when i let off the throttle it would rise to about 25 before dropping back down.
So, I changed my filter, did the pre-filter rebuild/cleaned it up and replaced the heater element top o-ring gasket. It idles at 18-20psi now but it doesn't seem to get much over 20psi while driving yet... 24psi is the most it hits while under acceleration/load.

Is this normal or do I maybe have a leak or bad line somewhere? Also, I've read about removing the heater element all together... has this seemed to help anyone else?

Edit: I also do have a hard start issue... everytime I start it, I have to tap the throttle just to get it to start the first try... otherwise it will crank four or five times and maybe start on its own. It's done this for a while, and I've adjusted throttle rod linkage as well as idle speed adjuster... it'd get better for a few days after adjustment and then hard start again. Yet once started it idles great.

·
Premium Member
16,204 Posts
Most likely your overflow valve needs replacing. Way to tell is pinch the rubber return hose that passes behind the fuel filter towards the rear of the engine with pliers while the engine is running. If the pressure jumps way up the OF valve is the problem. If it stays low problem could be the lift pump or filter clogging.
You won't find a better price on a OF valve
Precision Diesel Injection and Turbo Inc.
Marty Tompkins
888-734-7349

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll have to read the write-up fully sometime soon. I'll check the overflow valve... and probably remove that heater element soon too, since it's still fairly clean down there lol.

·
Cummins Crazy
2,257 Posts
stupid_productions,

When you R & R the OV, make sure you get the smaller orifice one. That one will give you much more fuel pressure.

WAYNES WORLD

·
SC Chapter President
1,024 Posts
Where can you get the smaller orifice one? I'm considering replacing mine soon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
part number

do you have a part number for the smaller orifice overflow valve?

·
Cummins Crazy
2,257 Posts
ChuckV309,
I understand that is the only one Scheid sells now.
You want to talk to Les from Lafayette to find the right number.
WAYNES WORLD

·
Registered
141 Posts
Who is Schied? Do you have any contact info?

·
Premium Member
16,204 Posts
Bosch overflow valves come in 20 to 50 psi ratings in 5 psi increments. Our stock valves are 30 psi.
Any good diesel injection shop should be able to get you whatever psi you want.
Don't really understand why anyone would want more psi unless they were pushing at least 500 hp.

·
Cummins Crazy
2,257 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts