Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to purchase guages, and i was wondering which fuel pressure to get. the rail pressure guage or just the fuel pressure guage. i will be getting a smarty soon, and i hear they run the rail dry with out the right fuel mods???

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used an electronic gauge from autometer, and then installed it in the bottom of the filter bowl.

By the time you buy a mechanical gauge and an isolater, it just isnt worth it to do a mechanical gauge.

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
I used an electronic gauge from autometer, and then installed it in the bottom of the filter bowl.

By the time you buy a mechanical gauge and an isolater, it just isnt worth it to do a mechanical gauge.
Fuel pressure on your 01 is not the same thing on an 05. Also the pressure you are reading from the bowl is pre filter, so post filter will be lower. Your reading is not accurate. You need to read post filter with a tapped banjo bolt and a needle valve so the injection pump does not pound your sending unit.

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
Both fuel and rail pressure readings are important on a modded truck. You cannot have good rp without good fuel pressure. If you have good fuel pressure and bad rp, you will also know then where to look.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fuel pressure on your 01 is not the same thing on an 05. Also the pressure you are reading from the bowl is pre filter, so post filter will be lower. Your reading is not accurate. You need to read post filter with a tapped banjo bolt and a needle valve so the injection pump does not pound your sending unit.
Ok so for a 2001 it needs to be after the filter BUT before the VP44? or after the VP44. I assume since you said hammer it, you want it after the injection pump.

The only purpose of the Gauge for me is to make sure that my lift pump is still pumping, I know my filter is good.

Kyle

·
Banned
5,586 Posts
Im getting ready to purchase guages, and i was wondering which fuel pressure to get. the rail pressure guage or just the fuel pressure guage. i will be getting a smarty soon, and i hear they run the rail dry with out the right fuel mods???
I'd get both.

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
Ok so for a 2001 it needs to be after the filter BUT before the VP44? or after the VP44. I assume since you said hammer it, you want it after the injection pump.

The only purpose of the Gauge for me is to make sure that my lift pump is still pumping, I know my filter is good.

Kyle
After the filter, before the VP44. The VP44 causes pulsations upstream that kill sending units.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright i guess i will look into getting both

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.