Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering the isspro 0-30psi fuel pressure gauge from vulcan. It includes the isolator, tubing and fill kit and a couple other things. Should I also get the schrader valve to keep pulsations to a minimum? Oh and how do I connect to the vp? I don't believe it includes a tapped banjo bolt. Would I need one of these? Or I've heard some guys just decore their original banjo bolt, is this true? What other things might I need to install this? Thanks....Mike

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't have one yet (yes, I know that I need one - or at least the light), so I can't give you install experience.... but isn't the isolator meant to cut out the pulsations?
:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I don't have one yet (yes, I know that I need one - or at least the light), so I can't give you install experience.... but isn't the isolator meant to cut out the pulsations?
:popcorn:
The isolator keeps fuel out of the cab, fuel goes to the isolator then on the other side antifreeze (I think) fills the line to your gauge.
From what I've read they fail quite often. I used a shut off needle valve at the VP and ran fuel line (rubber) then went to stainless steel (flexible) from there all the way thru the cab to the gauge. If you use stainless or a solid line from the VP to gauge you will hear an annoying pulsing noise that is extremely loud!
Lots of folks go straight from the VP to the gauge, you are not susposed to have fuel plumbed into the cab, mines been there for a year (63,000kms). should it ever leak, I'd pull over and shut off the needle valve and carry on.
just my opinion but the isolator and the electric guage seem to have a high failure rate, at least that what I see in posts, never saw anyone post about a fuel leak yet (knock on wood)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had an isolator and it showed false readings. Like my pressure was 8psi when it was really 15psi. Finally just ran it straight to the gauge. Never had any problems or even a hint of a smell of fuel in the cab. I prob need a snubber to help with the pulsations, but don't mess with the isolator though.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I used a braided line to the snubber, then plastic line to the guage in the cab. I also carry a cap to cap off the pressure line to the guage if necessary. It works fine, and I have the means to isolate things should it be necessary.

Ops

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
order a taped banjo bolt from geno's garage and install it on the vp44 use glycerin on the gauge side there is a diaphragm in the isolator you have to inject enough glycerin to push it down or it will cause the problem stated above i use a 18" grease gun hose from the banjo bolt to the isolator , the isolator is a good snubber now that you have already bought it use it and you will like it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also, don't be shocked if you get the gauge in and it shows 0! Mine did, as soon as i replaced the lift pump 14 psi at idle,
Good luck:thumbsup

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys. I'm gonna order the tapped banjo bolt also. Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts