Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to install a fuel pressure gauge in 98.5. looking for a complete kit for this installation, (dont want to be chasing for parts i dont have and will need) However I have a very limited budget (as we all do at this time) Any suggestions?

·
Registered
799 Posts
These are what a lot of people like to go with. Not expensive, the whole kit, and good quality. Make sure you go to napa and the the valve to protect the sending unit or you'll be replacing it soon. I believe it's part number WH 6720 or something of the sort. It's a weather head needle valve.

·
Registered
799 Posts
No. The needle valve is sold there. You'd have to find either a vendor on this site that has them or order them from Glowshift.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
just my two cent's, i just installed one from geno's garage. it's a westach 0-30psi gauge for about $100. if you go that route, get a vulcan fuel line kit too just $20. don't forget, gotta buy wire too....

Reactions: brown hound

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just Installed an Isspro EV2 fuel pressure gauge I got from Geno's Garage for $132, it came with everything I needed and the instructions were very clear. The install was super easy because on the 98.5-00 you just unscrew a bolt on the stock fuel filter cap and install the sending unit there. I've never installed a gauge before and it was easy and the gauge performs great and looks great, it also matches the stock gauges very well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You want the cheap route? this is what i did. 0-30psi mechanical gauge from summit ($15). tapped banjo bolt from Geno's garage ($6) Now you could for cheapnest sake reuse the banjo bolt washer o-ring thingys or get 2 from geno's when you order the tapped banjo bolt, there like a dollar or two. Then head on over to Napa and get a 1/8 copper tube kit. There used for oil pressure lines. ($12) Then i made my own sheet metal guage pod, and used the light out of the ashtray to light it up. look farely getto but it does the job. Now i'm sure a bunch of people will jump on me for running diesel fuel into the cab, but i watch it constantly for leaks. And haven't had any problems with it for years. O and if you wanna get fancy you can jacket the line in that flexable electrical line stuff found on most cars at the junkyard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked on glowshift website and talked to a tech there. he suggested that I install a snubber valve with the kit. my question is do i stil need a banjo bolt? or does the snubber screw in to the fuel filter cap as is?

·
Registered
799 Posts
the banjo bolt replaces the stock banjo bolt that either goes into the injection pump or the filter housing. It's better to get the reading directly off it IP so you know what you are getting to the pump. You want the snubber between the sensor to protect it and it screws into the banjo bolt and the sensor screws into it.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
needle valve does the samething as a snubber valve except the needle valve allows you to shut off the fuel should there ever be a leak, you wont need both just one or the other.
I too ran my fuel pressure into the cab, What I used was a tapped 1/8NPT banjo bolt (vulcan performance) then a needle valve screws into this then a short piece of rubber fuel line,(12 inches) then into stainless steel braided fuel line where it goes thru the firewall and up to the gauge, never had an issue in over 2000hrs of run time. I orginally used SS braided line right from the VP to the gauge, but had to add a piece of rubber under the hood as the SS line acted like a stethascope and transmitted a terrible ticking noise into the cab.
Also with a needle valve the amount of fuel that would actually leak in the cab is a couple of drops at a time and you might leak a 1/4 cup in 10mins (this all depends on how open the needle valve is)
I have since moved on to an EDGE J/A box that uses an electrical sender, so my set up is now different,
I tapped into my 1/2 fuel line on my Airdog, but this is what a needle valve looks like,

here is what the old gauge set up looked like, and a video of my failing Airdog at the time
I believe I spent around 100$ for everything, the red led you see was a low pressure warning light set up, to bring my attention to failing pressure, helps keep you from stairing at the gauge all the time

·
Registered
523 Posts
i got mine from VULCAN

1 - 12 of 12 Posts