Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel pressure gauge

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  BuffaloLake 
#1 ·
i am about to buy and install an edge ez should i install a Fuel pressure gauge? i already have a boost, pyro, and trans temp... but i wanted to know if i should get the fp gauge and which ones i should buy lets see some pics too! thanks :confused013:

#3 ·
This is my Glowshift on a column mount. It is electrical and cost about $60. You should get whatever brand matches your others, though.

#6 ·
Looks like you need a new lift pump. 6psi at idle is a little low:thumbsup:

#4 ·
Put your truck details in your signature.....

2nd gen trucks require a fuel pressure gauge and a quality lift pump before anything else, end of story, do not pass go until this is done. Even stock these two items must be resolved.

#7 ·
I bought a Stewart Warner kit from a fellow on ebay. All the fittings, tubing, and the gauge for $69ish (can't remember exactly). I ended up buying a single gauge pod from Advance Auto Parts and installing it immediately to the right of the OBDII port in front of the 4x4 shifter. It works great. Saved my sanity once already. When my APPS died and the truck was cutting out real bad I didn't have a heart attack because I knew I had fuel pressure and it most likely wasn't the VP44.

#13 ·
Don't know that I'd waste my time with a light. Generally they don't come on till the fuel pressure has dropped below 5psi which is too low according to the FSM. I'd stick with the gauge.

#9 ·
if you already have gauges,three, then get a warning light, I personaly think all diesels should come standard with this feature. Place it in the pillar with the rest, but all diesels MUST have a constant fuel supply or your screwed to say politly.

#10 ·
DiPricol Optix mechanical fp gauge in column mount.

#14 ·
I'm about to do a fuel pressure gauge, I have the schrader valve on the vp, do I need to get the schrader to 1/8'' adapter? Or do i need to get a tapped banjo bolt? I'm thinkin the best way to go is an electronic gauge, would love to know what you guys think!

#15 ·
I prefer mechanical...never trusted electronic gauges. tapped banjo is the best. when i was still using banjo bolts I had the tapped one hooked up under my stock fuel filter canister connected to the line that directly feeds the vp44. now I have an airdog150, so all of the banjo's are gone and its pulling right off the gauge port on the airdog pump.

#17 ·
:ditto:
Tapped Banjo and go with a Mechanical Gauge for reliability...just install a shutoff valve on the banjo in event of a leak (highly unlikely IMO so long as you use diesel/motor oil approved tubing and route it sensibly so it's out of the way of your feet).

#16 ·
I was thinkin about doin a mechanical one but I've read a lot about the isolators bein a pain, I'd rather do a mechanical but seems like more maintenance, I dont know, I could be wrong, I'll keep readin, thanks

#18 ·
in either case you will want a snubber or needle valve in between the source and the gauge to keep the pulses of the vp from beating the S out of your gauge or sending unit. as for isolators being a pain? it was a simple install for me, just hook it up, use a pencil's eraser on the top side to push the diaphragm down all the way, fill it with antifreeze coolant hook up the gauge line, and its done. I mounted my isolator to the injector line clamps. I'm not a fan of putting holes in my truck, and everything I've installed has used stock bolt holes including my cb mount.

#19 ·
Looks like you need a new lift pump. 6psi at idle is a little low
I installed my Aidog 100 Saturday night, now it's a constant 20 PSI and has a lot more power.

For a needle valve, Napa part number WH-6820. Should cost $8. Good idea for both mechanical and electric gauges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.