Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have their fuel plate removed completly? and i just ordered 4k springs. how much power do you gain? do you have to get 60lb springs?

·
Registered
429 Posts
umm i heard of people removing it completley. just depends on the truck i "heard" i dont run that. i have the 4k Springs and i got a fair amount of power out of it. truck dosnt clear up at the top end just a little grey when floored. only problem i had but was said to be expected was i had to turn up my idle to like 900 becuase it would die, still have to hold the gas when i go in reverse. and about the 60lb. springs. i dont have them and i was told i dont need them but it couldnt hurt. my experince!

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
you can remove to fuel plate and it will run. I wouldnt do it personally, I would put the #0 plate in, and personally i would also get the 60lb springs. thats just me better safe than sorry

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,010 Posts
The only way to gain power is to add fuel. A plate allows more fuel at wide open throttle.
Warning! The oem trans and/or clutch can not hold the power potential of the Cummins. The auto trans will only hold about 50 more hp from stock, while the clutch will hold a little more than that before it slips.
Removing the plate is a bad idea, you risk damage to the pump and a runaway motor. Run a 0 or 100.
Get the springs with the 4kGSK, anything over 3400rpm needs them.
The GSK kit allows full fuel flow through the rpm range, rather than defueling at about 2600. It also allows faster acceleration of the motor.
If it doesn't idle properly, the settings are off.

·
Registered
742 Posts
get the springs and having no plate is almost identical to having a 0 plate..... i dynoed with and without one and there is no difference..... run the 0 or 100 plate.....

·
Registered
749 Posts
im running no plate and love it

·
Registered
67 Posts
I floated the valves above 3700 rpm and 58 psi of boost 60# springs fixed that but know my fuel pump floats there was a guy that took the cam plate out aroud here and his engine ran away and broke a rod.

·
Registered
742 Posts
engines running away is the main concern..... if you do take it out..... take off the intake too so that if it does run away you can put a 2X4 across the intake to shut the motor off...... make sure that you have it ready of you can break a rod too.....

·
Registered
419 Posts
it makes a poping sound and smokes white
That would be slipped timing.

and the fuel pump is ran off of the cam and it floats just like a valve
No the P-7100 will not float like a valve. The pump is run off the Cam gear. The Cam gear is a press on gear and has been known to slip (in which case the timing is retarded) on the most modestly modded cummins motors. The P-Pump itself has a small cam shaft but would in no way float any "valves".

·
Registered
801 Posts
You guys understand a true 0 plate is the same as no plate correct? And there is no way only removing the plate could cause a run away.
i agree. A true zero plate full forward is identical to running no plate. The key is "true" zero plate, there are many people who think they run a 0 plate, but probably dont.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i know the p pump is gear driven but the lift pump is ran off the cam and at high rmps it floats and i loose fuel presser. the valves i was floating were intake or exhaust valve i never said that my injection pump was floating i ment to say lift pump. but i will check timing to see if it sliped i know that it is very commin for that to happen if there is a little oil on the taperd shaft it will slip

·
Registered
358 Posts
I normally run a 10 plate in my truck but i recently took the plate out and its alot of fun and has a ton of power but it makes my clutch slip and I personally dont like the idea of running no plate for a permanent set up. I just wanted to see what it would do with no plate and im putting my 10 back in soon. How do you guys like the 100 plate? I thought about running one of those.

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
personally i love mine!!!! i wouldnt trade my 100 plate for any other! and since i run a 100, i dont have to worry out gov arm going underneath the plate like 0 plate!!!! :peelout

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,010 Posts
:thumbsup:agree2::peelout

1 - 20 of 29 Posts