Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
The 100 seams awfully thin to me at the starting point? when I built one for my sons 94 I tappered back in alot further than that......maybe I built a 90 plate or something? It did make a big difference though

·
Registered
326 Posts
what do the numbers represent?

D

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The numbers represent the profile that you would get if you went to TST or somebody like that and gave them the number. The #100 is a combination of a #10 and a #0. Hopefully that is now clear as mud.
Tom

·
Registered
358 Posts
MnTom said:
Here is a rough drawing of what different fuel plate profiles look like. It gives you a good comparison of profiles.
Thanks that is the picture i was looking for.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
nice pic. All of the people that like to make plates out of stocker could really use that. I could have used it about 9 months ago when i made my stocker to a #100. But nice work.

·
Registered
768 Posts
LOL, I made that drawing some time ago...amazing how these things get filtered around the different sites. And yes, it is rough, and only to show the "general differences".

Whit as far as the hook goes....when I built mine originally, I only wanted the 100 profile to give the bottom edge of the plate a little more chance ot grabbing the gov arm before it went under, otherwise I wanted a zero. I've seen the 100 you put in the boy's rig and if it fuel hard enough then there's no worries. With only about 3/8" of verticle travel though, getting out of the hook quick and into full rack was my goal. When I made my bosses plate http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2569 I made it to fuel hard then start pulling it fairly quick because he refuses to go any bigger with his turbo than his stage 3 HTT HX35. To pull fuel early then let it go full rack later is actually backwards for most mild to moderate applications. We run into EGT problems on the top end with RPM, but generally not down below given the same amount of fuel. So to really get the poop out of a 100...or a custom curved 10 like I made, we get out of the hook fast for hard fueling where we can handle the temps, then pretty quick like start to defuel it some as the rpm band elevates. This makes for a lot of fuel and power where the engines make it anyway, but leans it a little before temps are a problem.

Notice the quick ramp off idle. And in reality, as the throttle is nailed off idle, the arm lands right in the deepest p[art of the plate, then almost immediately starts defueling gradually. This plate, once I polished it, was made exclusively for his truck and with the RPM's it currently sees. It was a major difference from the run of the mill 100 that was in it. He can hold her to the wood till he runs out of governor and never see high temps...and the truck is quicker.

For those wanting to really get the most safe power from a budget 12 valve, the method in that thread is really the only way to go, and it will get you real acquainted with your pump and engine.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
i bin looking for a good plate to installe in my 96. a couple of guys i know have took ther's out and nothin more. what happens when u run no fuel plate?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thats not a real good idea. Theres a ball on the end of the govner arm (i believe not 100% sure on where exactly it is but it's in there), the ball will fall off when it's traveled to far and drop down into the pump. When it does that it wipes out the pump. So do it at your own risk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
deezzil power said:
i bin looking for a good plate to installe in my 96. a couple of guys i know have took ther's out and nothin more. what happens when u run no fuel plate?
I run no fuel plate, no problem, just a lot of power.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
BulldogA$$ said:
I run no fuel plate, no problem, just a lot of power.
A lot of people have said that but then come crawling back a few months later with their tail between their legs wishing they had listened to the advice of folks with more experience...
The damage is a very consistant $1200.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
what happens if the govornor arm goes beneath the plate?? like if ya slid a plate too far foreward. What exactly does it do and what happens?

·
Registered
65 Posts
what happens if the govornor arm goes beneath the plate?? like if ya slid a plate too far foreward. What exactly does it do and what happens?
This subject just died at this point. and maybe it was erevelant at this point because it went in to a different dicussion. I also was wondering. Is this what causes turbo lag? the tip of the lever goes under the nose of the plate? and then emerges later when things change, like enough boost, or pedal travel? I noticed that mine has always been a little harder to push down when the engine is off half way down. And some times when the engine is runing. Now this was with a # 5 plate where it has the taper on the nose bottom side. Closer examination shows skid marks on the toe bottom, So If I continue to use it the lever adjustment will have to be done. On The stock plate the lever hits at the bottom edge where it should.
Marv.

·
Registered
358 Posts
trun your key on so that the engine shut off selenoid is in the on position and open your throttle and see where yor govenor arm hits if it is below the edge then you have to adjust your govenor arm.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This subject just died at this point. and maybe it was erevelant at this point because it went in to a different dicussion. I also was wondering. Is this what causes turbo lag? the tip of the lever goes under the nose of the plate? and then emerges later when things change, like enough boost, or pedal travel? I noticed that mine has always been a little harder to push down when the engine is off half way down. And some times when the engine is runing. Now this was with a # 5 plate where it has the taper on the nose bottom side. Closer examination shows skid marks on the toe bottom, So If I continue to use it the lever adjustment will have to be done. On The stock plate the lever hits at the bottom edge where it should.
Marv.

On what pump? #5 plate does not work in a 160 or 215 pump without highering the gov arm.
the problem is the angle grinded edge (bottom) from the tip down

when the arm rides under the plate, ive noticed: less power then when it hits the plate
one little smoke cloud, and it defuels harder then when it rides along the plate.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have heard, allthough it may not be true, that you can take a piece of flat iron say 3/8" or 1/2" and make your own fuel plate... Anybody know if thats true?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts