Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 98 12 valve and was filling it up with fuel when fuel started flowing out from underneath the truck. The fuel pump never kicked off and i lost about half a gallon of fuel out from under the truck. I looked underneath the truck at the tank and it looked dry everywhere and it doesn't leak of smell like fuel when the truck sits for awhile. Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
85 Posts
How high did you fill it? I wonder if your filler neck is cracked where it meets the tank? fill out your signature - User CP - edit signature - just trying to save you some grief down the road

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I filled it all the way up thinking that the fuel pump would kick off but it didn't and i had fuel running out from under the truck.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
What do you mean by "the fuel pump didn't kick off"? The lift pump is mechanical and the tank should not have an electric fuel pump in it.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Joe, I think he is refering to the fuel pump at the station.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
In that case, there are a few places to look.

The ring gasket around the fuel tank module may be leaking. That's easy to tighten up. Use a long screwdriver and hit the lugs on the side of the ring to tighten it. You can do that without lifting the bed or lowering the tank. If it keeps on leaking then the gasket will have to be replaced. That requires that the bed be lifted or the tank lowered.

Check the fuel line connections on top of the fuel tank module to see if a hose or pipe is broken. Repairing that will require lifting the bed or lowering the tank.

Check the big hose that connects the filler neck to the tank. If it is leaking it is easy to replace.

Also check the smaller hose beside the above hose. It is a vent.

Reactions: 98shorty12V

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Joe, does the vent line adjacent to the fill hose have a check valve?

Reactions: 98shorty12V

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I don't think so. The filler pipe does have a roll over check valve.

Reactions: Motorboat

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I first bought my truck, it did the same thing the first time I filled it up. It was the big ring on top of the tank. I tightened it down just like mentioned above and it hasn't done it since. That was almost 8 yrs ago. Guess they got in a hurry puttin 'em together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts