Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '96 stock cummins has been missing power especially towing and uphills, so I figured a simple fix might be replacing the overflow valve. But when I took it out, I noticed it had nothing inside...no ball, no spring, just empty? I've read there are several different oem versions of these valves, but does that sound right at all? Was the prior owner compensating for a weak lift pump by somehow getting rid of the spring and ball that creates pressure? I replaced with an aftermarket one, now the truck won't start...can't get fuel out of cracked injectors and weak out of fuel filter bleed screw. Was putting in the aftermarket enough to finish off the lift pump???

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Are you sure you got the correct location and didn't just remove a banjo bolt?? Like mentioned above, pictures would help.

Reactions: CHarrison9612v

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
My understanding is that the spring creates a restriction and makes pressure

·
Registered
81 Posts
Putting a fuel pressure gauge on it will help a lot to diagnose the problem. What brand of OFV did you install? Is it adjustable?
How old is the fuel filter? Fuel heater screen clogged? Air if fuel? I would check all that before getting a new lift pump.

Reactions: CHarrison9612v

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d second the OFV being installed in the inlet port at the back of the IP instead of the front port. Not trying to insult anybody’s intelligence but it’s an easy mistake to make
Well yes, my intelligence should be insulted as that was exactly the issue! I had watched a YouTube video and the guy replaced the wrong bango bolt as well🤷🏻‍♂️ problem at least solved...thank you!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Simple mistake to make. OFV in the front location and tapped banjo bolt for a gauge in the back location. Glad you got it figured out

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Well yes, my intelligence should be insulted as that was exactly the issue! I had watched a YouTube video and the guy replaced the wrong bango bolt as well🤷🏻‍♂️ problem at least solved...thank you!!!
YouTube can be a great resource, but there isn't exactly a screening process for it. I've seen people demonstrate the exact wrong way to do things on there more than a few times. I generally just take YouTube tech with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I find howto videos annoying and usually way too long. Give me a good writeup with pics anyday, and they're usually less likely to be straight-up wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts