Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

fuel mileage

1466 16
i wanted to know what some of you are getting for fuel mileage iam averaging around 15mpg. is this low? i do have some mods and 35in tires
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
depends on the mods you got. Fill out your sig so we know what the truck has. w/ what I got I get 15-16 if it's all around town, I also like to have fun w/ it though. best I've got is about 19 hand calculated, all highway.

· Registered
53 Posts
I drive easy, 65 mostly on the interstate. In the summer ill usually get 18-21 .. winter 18-19.... with 285/75s ..... last summer I was getting around 24 mpg driving 55-60 , that was with stock tires..... hand calculated..... I'm talking about driving easy though !!!! slow stops, slow take offs ... like your driving on ICE ...

· Premium Member
323 Posts
What kind of driving are you doing? If I do a 50/50 split highway/town I can get about 17. All highway I see about 20. Mostly town I see about 15. I have stock tires, though.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just did a 400 mile highway trip and only got 405 miles to 27 gallons that equals 15mpg i also was doing the spedo said 70mph so i was probably going 78 or so do you yhink that is low

· Registered
2,164 Posts
i just did a 400 mile highway trip and only got 405 miles to 27 gallons that equals 15mpg i also was doing the spedo said 70mph so i was probably going 78 or so do you yhink that is low
my dually runs about 16-17 in winter (but now it should be better with the box). the BFG will kill it a lot. i have mud grapplers on my 04 with 4.56's, and it dropped it from about 16 down to about 10.5. i also put an intake, and full exhaust on it too, and still cant break 11. so a lot of it is your tires. whats your gearing?

· Registered
1,515 Posts
i got 20 once.... through a snow storm on highway doing 30-50 lol. besides that i get average of 16-17.5 wish it was higher and think it should be. when i want to get good mileage, i do the drive like your on ice method and it does not help me muchmaybe 1 mpg. i do feel some "bumpy-ness" when driving at staedy speeds tho so i think something is going bad with mine like maybe throttle pos. sensor or even vp44 getting weak. whenever i figure out that problem maybe it will get better i hope

· Registered
53 Posts
I often wander about our fuel now a days too. I do a lot of traveling across the country and I'm real anal about watching my millage. Some states ill fill up and get up to a 2 mile difference

· Premium Member
323 Posts
Are you running any fuel additives? A good two stroke oil should give you another mile per gallon. You could also try a bottle of normal injector cleaner and see if that helps you out.

· Registered
206 Posts
I run an average of 130 miles a day with 75% being of highway and get 16-18 mpg with crusie at 65mph. It also depends on the time of year here in NY ( temp) and whether Im running summer or winter tires.

· Registered
78 Posts
Just a thought, but low MPG's could be an indication of a worn VP44. I've been talking to a few people that said after installing a new VP, they saw an increase in their MPG's. Something to do with a worn rotor and an inability to advance the timing correctly.

I'm sure someone here can explain it coherently - or correct me if the need be.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
Just a thought, but low MPG's could be an indication of a worn VP44. I've been talking to a few people that said after installing a new VP, they saw an increase in their MPG's. Something to do with a worn rotor and an inability to advance the timing correctly.

I'm sure someone here can explain it coherently - or correct me if the need be.
or a VP-44 that has been subjected t low fuel PSI as well, often times low posi will cause issues with the cooling of the VP-44's electonics causes dead circuts and then a slwe of issues, whcih then can lead to a dead VP.

ALso moving the pressure diaphragm in the VP can cause that ide suspect.

In the winter 9i see about 14ish because i do alot of the 3 cylinder high idling coming from work, so yea my mpg drops, but i do see 17-18 in the summer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.