Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Mileage

4352 Views 38 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  AR15
I heard guys are getting low twenties with a 3.73, I am wondering what about the 4.10 or the 4.88? Does it make a difference whether you have a Aisin or just a stick shift?
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Fuel Milage

Tony_____:

I do not see any TRUCK in your "Profile"?
since your're posting in 6.7 Liter Forum, I will assume...... well you know how that can go...

I get around 11 MPG pulling a 4K trailer and,
12.7 or 13 MPG not pulling with my STOCK truck.

These figures are calculated over 22K miles using Excel spreadsheets Visa card records to keep track of purchases of diesel fuel. Pretty accurate, but mistakes happen. NO WHERE NEAR those figures you mentioned.

Just my inputs....
Many say use deletes, that puts warrantys in question.... I will not do this after much thought, and in terms of the environment, I'll just do the "right thing" this late in my life. I was not concerned with MPG when I bought truck.., now I must live with it "to do no harm".
"Preachie" probably.
See ya on down the road....

· Registered
241 Posts
I have not been blessed with the great low 20's mileage!:hehe: Granted my mileage is sloooowly increasing, but it started off averaging 13.5MPG (empty). Now the truck has about 5,000 miles on it, and it has been graced with low 14 MPGs (empty).

And these are hand calculated. The DIC usually shows about 0.7 MPG higher than those numbers.

· Registered
76 Posts
Driving mostly around town I have been getting 16.5 - 17 mpg hand calc. with egr unplugged. Truck has 33m miles on.

· Registered
111 Posts
I just hit my 1st grand on the clock. I have been getting 14 to 16 on the computer combined town and hiway. I believe that the computer is wrong and is high like everyone claims..
Bob
09/6.7/3/4 ton short bed, 3.73 rear end, auto tranny and totally stock engine wise...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a truck at the moment, but I am looking at buying a Dodge Ram 4500 this week, was curious what kind of mileage I can expect. I'll throw up some barebone stock pictures when I've signed my life away.

· Registered
25 Posts
I consistently see 15.5-16 mpg in my mixed city/highway driving on the overhead.

Everytime I have checked it the overhead has been .5-.7 mpg optimistic.

On the highway at 70mph or less I can get 18 hand calculated.

My truck has 9k miles and the egr unplugged and a soft tonneau cover. Otherwise, it's completely stock w/3.73's.

· Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Just got back from a 237 mile trip and used 11.816 gallons at 65-75 mph so that comes out to 20.05 mpg. Thats with 4.10 gears and auto trans. Made the same trip last week pulling a 5000# trailer and got 19.1 mph.

· Registered
48 Posts
I've only got 2500km on the truck, but I'm averaging 17-19 on the highway so far. That's at 110km/hr

· Registered
4 Posts
You can see what I've got in my Sig..... Bought the truck used w/ 7K. Damn thing only got 14.0-14.2MPG (3.73 Diffs). My '94 auto got 16.5-18mpg consistently for 9yrs and 200k.
Put the new tires on (was even considering a Gearvendors Unit $$$). This raised my fuel economy up to 14.8-15.0MPG a couple months ago and the motor RPM seems to be a pretty good match. Now I'm getting 15.4-15.5 MPG. I attribute the latest jump due to the move to Summer blend fuel. Overhead is very close, within 2-4 tenths (odometer is off 6%, GPS checked over long distance). I have never seen over 16.5 (not even on road trips <75mph). I commute 40mi/day. Morning nice, traffic flows and I run 55-70, evening is more stop and go. I jump to side streets to "enjoy the trip". Sitting is traffic is a major downer for me (on average, side streets don't save me any time).
I'm still chomping at the bit for a mod to improve the economy even more. I have plenty of power and the 6sp manual is pretty slow shifting (notchy to me).
I tried unplugging the the EGR, got a bad stutter (hold foot steady) engine surging once in awhile hammering the slack in the drive train. So I'm running stock for now and keeping an eye on the Smarty.

· Registered
209 Posts
I am getting 18 to 19 mpg hand calculated, but my truck is in limp mode now, due to a clogged dpf.

· Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Do you have your EGR unpluged? :confused013:

· Registered
25 Posts
Was that all down hill????.......lol

· Registered
28 Posts
Almost 6k on mine. Highway only at 70 to 75 I have seen 20 mpg. This was with the egr unplugged. Back and forth to work which is 70% highway and 30% city I'm averaging 18.9 mpg. Overhead reading as much as 2 to 2.5 high.

Nils

· Registered
195 Posts
22 highway average on overhead (65mph), but its off consistently by 2mpg. Sorry I always forget to hand calculate, reset odometer etc

14 when towing 5000lbs

10 when towing 10,000lbs at 75-80

· Registered
79 Posts
No mods, 8502 miles. All data kept on spreadsheet at each fillup.

15.57 average from day 1.

Best 17.58, Worst 11.48, Overhead off about 1.2 mpg.

Been to shop 3 times for CEL, new turbo 1800 miles ago.

Eddie

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.