Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what can i do for some fuel mileage it has been at about 11-13 mpg since the pickup was new...... i drive an early 2004 dodge 2500 4x4 4 door with the offroad package (410 gears) automatic with amsoil cold air intake, edge ez 70hp chip and 5in exhaust.. help please!!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
change out the gears. what is your tire size, usual speed of travel. If your running 2K rpm on the highway the mileage will be worse than if you ran at 15-17 hundred rpm. On the level highway at 1700rpm and 62 mph i get about 17mpg. at 75 it drops the 13.4 mpg with 2000-2100 rpm

·
Registered
504 Posts
I d say the gears have a lot to do with the problem, if you have a mud tire that generally will take a couple miles to the gallon away. You could put a nice tall tire on it that would help.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I d say the gears have a lot to do with the problem, if you have a mud tire that generally will take a couple miles to the gallon away. You could put a nice tall tire on it that would help.

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sorry computer froze. I hit the button a few extra times.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sorry computer froze. I hit the button a few extra times.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Mud Terrain tires will definitely drop your mileage. I had some 35" BFG MTs on my current truck for a short while and my mileage dropped 2 full points. I don't think the 4:10s make that much difference. I had an 03 truck with 4:10s and it got better mileage than my current truck with 3:73s does. It wasn't much better but it was better nonetheless..
Also, driving with a lead foot or lots of stop and go will kill your mileage quickly...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts