Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a set of Fuel Hostages in 17x9 that I put on my truck in December. Live in Maryland; they were not driven in snow/salt either. Had approx 4K miles no them before I noticed little raised pits/bumps all over them. I keep them clean, I keep them washed. I think this is completely unacceptable. I have seen chromed wheels that had NO care last better than this for years.

Anyone else had issues with FUEL's chrome wheels? How did you handle it? What was their response?

I'm reading this thread right now:
fuel hostages - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

·
Registered
146 Posts
HMM I my start looking at a different manufacture of wheels for my rig after your post.
Sorry to here about that issue I have seen this on wheels before.On my 2010 ram 3500 s.r.w. the center caps started looking this way after only 9000 miles.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Man that sucks, thats one reason why im getting black rims instead of the chrome. I also find it quite weird that they started pitting after only 4k miles without comming into contact with salt. How old were they??

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased them brand new.

·
Registered
146 Posts
do you drive dirt roads much? I do so this is what attribute mine to.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope! I wish I had a reasonable explanation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do you still have the factory brake pads? If so, it could the break dust causing that. I know my wheels started pitting because of break dust. Someone told me the hot dust sits on wheels and basically cooks the chrome until it cools. I thought they were crazy until I noticed my front wheels pitting then when I rotated them the other two started pitting. I tried keeping them clean but it was no use.

EDIT: I do not have Fuel wheels. IMO any chrome wheel will pit eventually.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Nickel-Chrome plating is a very durable finish if applied properly. If the base nickel is too thin and a single coat durability will be horrible. If the base nickle is single and at least .0015" it may suffice.

Your wheels are pitting because the plating process was very poor... period!!

The majority of plating coming from outside the USA is done very cheaply without regard to any specifications, quality and is therefore junk! Not saying all Countries are producing junk chrome just some.....

Brake dust is hard on wheels, however, brake dust will not hurt properly plated wheels!!:thumbsup:

Grand Rock Stacks would be a good example of quality chrome plating. No affiliation to Grand Rock just pointing out there are still some Compainies that have strict Q.C. and adhere to proper chrome plating specifications.

I would try to get a refund as replacement will most likely put you back in the same boat a few months down the road!:agree2:

Reactions: jt-bo

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have EBC Green Stuff pads. I try to keep them clean, but you can only do so much you know.

I had a friend tell me the same thing about the cheap plating process out of Mexico or something; don't know how much merit there is to that but sounds plausible. I've seen chrome wheels neglected for long periods of time and clean up great. These are just falling apart IMO.

In that link I posted in the first post, it sounds like they made a change to their process; maybe they acknowledge there was a problem? Not sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same problem with my wheels after a few months too, though they weren't Fuel wheels. I can't recall who made them. Just a question that may prevent subpar chrome pitting or peeling, what would be the cost of buying new wheels and having them replated before installing them?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a set of Fuel Hostages in 17x9 that I put on my truck in December. Live in Maryland; they were not driven in snow/salt either. Had approx 4K miles no them before I noticed little raised pits/bumps all over them. I keep them clean, I keep them washed. I think this is completely unacceptable. I have seen chromed wheels that had NO care last better than this for years.

Anyone else had issues with FUEL's chrome wheels? How did you handle it? What was their response?

I'm reading this thread right now:
fuel hostages - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
I have a set of Fuel Hostage chrome wheels. I'm in the same boat as you. I put the wheels on a truck with 200 miles on it. I baby the truck...always clean and stored under cover. I noticed after a month that there was some pitting between the spokes...it has now traveled to the lip. This is total BS!!!! they are only 7 months old.

What did you do? They are suppose to have a one year warranty...I don't want a replacement set that is going to go to sh1t in a year and be stuck with junk....I wee their warranty states that they only allow 1 replacement set...after that its on you. I want my money back!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truth be told I haven't done anything with them yet. Too much else going on, and the thought of having to get my 37s taken off, sent out, sent back, remounted, rebalanced, etc. etc. has really dissuaded me from doing anything. If they get too horrible, I might just get them rechromed.

Shame they are turning to .

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Fuel Boost wheels started rusting after a year. I keep my stuff clean too, the wheels were black and the little chrome bolts on the outer lip rusted. No more Fuel wheels for me. I’ve seen and heard way too much bad news about these wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts