Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006, s467, 100hp injectors, firepunk tuning
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. This is my first diesel, and my first winter with the truck. I got in my truck this morning and took off down the road to work. I went to get on the highway and gave it around 1/3 throttle, and it didn't go any faster, it just fell on its face. I could let off of it a little bit and it would go ahead and go...If you give it too much throttle it falls on its face...I took it home and put it in the garage and got another vehicle.

I am not sure if it will thaw out in the garage or not? I have never experienced this. I was going to buy a new fuel filter after work. I have had the truck around 8 months and haven't changed it...I don't know when the previous owner changed it either.

I had my truck plugged up, but it wasn't in the garage...It got below 0 last night. I understand that plugging the truck in does not help with the fuel, only the block.

I have been doing some research, but I see all kinds of different things...I heard that 911 additive works good, and also heard that re flow was good as well.

Should I just try the additive if when I get home it hasn't changed? Or should I go ahead and replace the filter as well? Is there anything I need to do to prevent this? This is one of the colder winters that we have had in several years...It normally doesn't get this cold.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are many fuel stations that are not cutting their fuel due to cost. If you do not add additive, you will have issues with it gelling. It is even worse if you are getting bio diesel. I would recommend adding an additive every time you fill up when it is this cold out. If you still have the aftertreatment on the truck, then make sure you read the label to ensure the additive it made to work with aftertreatment.

Since you are unsure of when the fuel filter was changed last, I'd go ahead and do that, and add some additive to the tank. If you have a heater in the garage, I'd fire it up as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What additive should I add when I fill up? If by aftertreatment, you are talking about the DPF stuff, then its all gone. I will get a fuel filter after work like I had planned...I do have an insulated garage and have a torpedo heater...I will definately have it cranked when I go to change the filter this evening...It is 6* right now. :/

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've never had an issue with gelling fuel until today. Had the same problem you did, mine must have just been a little gelled on the fuel filter after she was running for a while I didn't have the problem anymore. I normally run some additive but its been insanely cold here the past few days was about -50 last night with the wind chill. I run the power source in the white bottle in the winter to prevent the gelling. If you go and get a fuel filter pick up some diesel 911 just in case you're still gelled up.

Reactions: matholland618

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are lots of different additives, and I'm sure if you ask 5 forum members, you will get at least 10 favorites that they use! The 911 seems to be popular and work well. I've always used the Fleetguard additive in my VW and now the Cummins. No issues to date, but the truck is usually in a heated garage, and doesn't play in the snow much!

Does your state mandate bio diesel, or do you know if you are getting bio? Take some pics of the filter when you get it out. I'd be interested to see what it looks like. I've seen some really nasty filters this winter from waxing fuel.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is 911 only for if you are gelled up, or can it be used as a daily additive? Is 911 significantlly higher than other additives, or do they all cost around the same?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
This can be a big issue for you guys down south with this cold winter. .bio fuel

It is even worse if you are getting bio diesel.
Try Howes diesel treat for a additive.
We have had windchill in the -50*F"s too but that does not effect gelling , fuel or your truck.

we haven't been above zero for a few days now with lows in the -30*F's,
I haven't gelled...
50-50 mix #2 & #1with a additive/winter blend
they say is good down to -30*F, so I add howes to it

as suggested try a new filter and buy a 2nd to have on hand.

·
Registered
353 Posts
911 is only when you're gelled up according to power source. Buddies Dmax gelled a few weeks ago and it gelled bad. diesel 911 worked like magic

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW I forgot to add that I live in Eldorado, Illinois...Southern tip of Illinois! I am not sure if it is BIO diesel or not? Never really paid attention to it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Been below freezing or over 2wks here many times below zero. No gelling issues. I use the power source in the white bottle every other time I add fuel. Get fuel from the same station 95% of the time too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think the only reason I gelled was the additive I had was left from last year yet. I couldn't find an expiration date on it but figured it wasn't going to be as effective but like i said first time I've EVER had an issue in 6 years of owning my diesel's.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just so that I do know....When adding additives, do I use a full bottle per fill-up, or do I use a half bottle? Or do I do every other fill-up or what?

Reactions: ORock

·
Registered
353 Posts
Follow the directions on the bottle of whatever you pick up.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Wow this is a huge problem this year with everyone. You need to make sure your fuel station has diesel thats cut with either kerosene or ethanol (10%) it will say it at the pump. This is to prevent gelling. Its Obama and his very smart staff that put restrictions on this to "save money".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Out of curiosity, about what temp should you start thinking about the jelling issue? I've been around diesel my entire life and never had it cross my mind. Arkansas never really gets below zero, even in the teens is fairly uncommon. This winter has been odd for us though...very cold and wet. A couple weeks back we had a blast of arctic air that was here for several days and reached negative temps we haven't seen in a couple hundred years or something like that. With windchill, it's been pretty cold...for my area. About what temp should I be concerned? Sorry to hijack and thanks in advance...

·
Registered
353 Posts
if your stations down there don't run winter diesel, I'm no expert but I'd say maybe around 30-40 degrees.

Reactions: ORock

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow, that's a lot warmer of a response than I figured I would get...thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
like I said, I'm no expert so I could be wayyyyyyyyyy off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks nutty. That shows I should actually consider some preventative additives...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts