Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so this morning i started up my truck to head home from work and it was about -20 out id say.. i got about halfway home and the fuel started to gel and I didnt have any fuel filters on hand so I limped it home basically at idle.. maybe 10 miles at most but now im trying to go to sleep but for some reason it keeps coming to my mind of hurting the injector pump.. Should i be worried?? :confused013:

Its in the heated shop for now so hopefully it will unthaw enough to run to the parts store for more filters

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
no it shouldnt be hurt...what hurts the pump is not having any fuel to cool it, and the circuit board burns up..so you prolly didnt have much prssure, but atleast it was cold lol! you should be good, just get some red 911 in the tank, and fill the canister halfway with it when you put a new filter in. -jake

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
u should be alright since u didnt abuse it when it tried gelling and be sure to keep anti-gel with u and have some in the tank when it gets that cold, its alot cheaper than new filters :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
or running amsoil all year long... diesel concentrate and cetane boost in the summer and fall, then diesel concentrate w/cold flow and cetane boost in the winter and spring...

Reactions: smkstk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey up here in Minnesota with our wonderfull fuel it is important to run a good additive in the fuel. I manage a NAPA and I use FPPF biodiesel winter treat the FPPF acually gets rid of water, see our bio promotes water in the fuel causing the gelling. The FPPF mixes the fuel with water sending it through the system getting rid of it. Alot of other additives separate the water leaving it at the bottom of the tank untile you have major problem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i wouldnt be too worried about the ip. just get it running again with 911 or some other anti gel and keep some with you when its colder out :thumbsup:

·
Registered
731 Posts
the only thing i've run in my tank has been 2 cycle. haven't had any issues yet, and it's been -28 or -29 at the lowest this year so far. i bought a bottle of 911 last year but not sure where i put!

·
Registered
231 Posts
mine did the same today. ive been running power service in it also. and ive been worried too. so youre saying it should be fine? everybody makes it sound like if you lose fuel pressure it ruins the pump immediatly

·
Registered
376 Posts
not immedately but deff not good! its prolly not hurt right now but get the fuel issue worked out and as long as you have good pressure you will be fine

·
Registered
231 Posts
i just got a new ip and fass 95 put on about a month ago. and now ive been having problems with gelling. its done this twice now. to me the first time is a fluke the second time it becomes a problem. my truck was also plugged in and insde a shed

it probably ran for 10 min tops and im not sure how long it ran with 0 pressure. so i should be fine?

·
Registered
376 Posts
i just got a new ip and fass 95 put on about a month ago. and now ive been having problems with gelling. its done this twice now. to me the first time is a fluke the second time it becomes a problem. my truck was also plugged in and insde a shed

it probably ran for 10 min tops and im not sure how long it ran with 0 pressure. so i should be fine?
id go to a different fuel station, some are better than others when it comes to cold weather additives. u SHOULD be fine, but its not good, theres nothing you can do about it now tho. just get her fixed up and enjoy it. dont loose your warrantee slip on the new pump either just incase

·
Registered
231 Posts
there arent really any options, we dont have any problems with my dads 89 and i dont know of any one who has had any problems

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
89ctd i think ur problem is the fass that u have because the factory filter setup has a fuel heater in it and by using the fass filter setup u no longer put heat in the fuel to keep things liquified. the only time ur heating the fuel is when it is sent to the injction pump and that doenst put much, if any heat in the fuel until the motor is up to temp and by then ur fuel would already be gelled.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ya i pretty much figured that now im just trying to figure out what im going to do about it. i really dont want to run a coolant line clear back there. and if i did i would use braided stainless hose and id guess i would need 30ft or so which would cost about 100 bucks plus fittings

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry it took me so long to post back been busy with work.. I usually run an additive but it would figure that it happens the one time I didnt have any when i filled up haha Thanks for the reassurance on the IP

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
ya it would be nice if the air/fuel seperator systems came with some sort of a heating element that worked like the stock one does, it would save alot of filters.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Make sure you have a good fuel filter and use a good additive that actually removes water from the fuel tank. FPPF bio fuel treat will remove water on a 1 to 1 ratio. When talking to the tech guys at FPPF they said that sometimes you have to drain the tank to get all the water out! Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
ya i pretty much figured that now im just trying to figure out what im going to do about it. i really dont want to run a coolant line clear back there. and if i did i would use braided stainless hose and id guess i would need 30ft or so which would cost about 100 bucks plus fittings
i bought a aftermarket fuel heater, with some lines, you can buy one of those veggie therms and put it before your FASS, this way excess heat gets taken back to the fuel tank, this is how i have done it and have not had a problem yet.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
ya it would be nice if the air/fuel seperator systems came with some sort of a heating element that worked like the stock one does, it would save alot of filters.
The factory heater does jack, probably created more problems than they ever solved. The greater advantage of the factory filters is their location. While they may not be toasty warm, they are certainly warmer than the frame mounted filters. Factory filters higher micron rating also means they will flow better in cold, where as the aftermarket lower micron rated filters will be affected by clouding sooner.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Personally the stainless lines is overkill unless its a show truck. They won't look good for long, and be a pain to install. Just regular heater hose will work very well. Dress them in nice and you won't have to worry about being stranded from cold fuel.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts