Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before sending it out to a mechanic i would like to take a shot at fixing my busted gauge myself.

I bought the truck with the gauge not working

how should i got abouts doing this?

·
Registered
861 Posts
hmmm i dunno i would go to a dodge dealer and get one. they are about 60 bucks i think and you will get one specifically for your truck. but this is common on these trucks mine is actually not working now too :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i donno whats up with my local dealer but its not $60!

they want $166 for the unit

ill also need the water in fuel sensor/drain plug for the fuel filter and they want $88 for it!!

anyone know of any parts stores that charge less than this?

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
well i donno whats up with my local dealer but its not $60!

they want $166 for the unit

ill also need the water in fuel sensor/drain plug for the fuel filter and they want $88 for it!!

anyone know of any parts stores that charge less than this?
They want $166 for the entire fuel module, all you want is the gauge sender. That should be about $60.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Try this part number: 4797738

G

·
mine also out went yesterday to my mech he said 70$ for the part oh well he makes ten bucks on the part but its the labor total install 200$ ill let him do it since i just put 140$ worth of fuel in it and i would end up with 35 gallons in my garage lol good luck

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The float in the tank is connected to a potentiometer.

As the float raises and lowers, the resistance changes.

You can check the resistance of the wires going to the gauge; if it's in the ~40-200 ohm range then the sender is fine, if not then you have a sender problem.

If one of the sender wires is grounded someplace, then that would be your problem. I lost my fuel gauge when I ran a steel-braided fuel line from my tank to the sender.

First gens work like that, anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts