Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just joined the site, i just got my second cummins 97 and the fuel gauge doesn't work. it just lays over on the empty line with the fuel light on. also the cruse and the horn doesn't work. :confused013:
can you help?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Just normal for these TRKS ..drop the tank replace sender

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel pump

thanks,so you dont think it could be a ground? do you have 2 replace the whole sender or just the guts?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
You just replace the sender... The rest of the guts you re-use...:thumbsup:

It's about $70 bucks for a sender... Easy to do I did mine in 1 hour...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Where can i get one of these sending units. I have searched all over and can only find the unit that has the integral pump which i dont need. I just need the sending unit. Help:banghead:

·
Registered
267 Posts
The float on mine disintegrated and fell off. My buddies did the same thing. He bought a new sending unit and I lucked out and found a whole new module on ebay for $35. So probably a new sending unit would fix yours.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Where can i get one of these sending units. I have searched all over and can only find the unit that has the integral pump which i dont need. I just need the sending unit. Help:banghead:
Like I said its a dealer only part and ask him for only the fuel level sender. My dealer in Ontario, OR keeps about 5 of them in stock at all time. They run about $70 bucks. This is WITHOUT internal pump or basket... Just the sender...

·
Registered
63 Posts
what error codes did ur guys truck throw when you had to replace the sender?

Just normal for these TRKS ..drop the tank replace sender

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
what error codes did ur guys truck throw when you had to replace the sender?
No error code here... other that I was running out of fuel and the gauge was showing over 1/2 tank...:doh:

Thank God for the Drawstraw sucking air was clueing me in that I was really low on fuel...:shock:

·
Registered
992 Posts
I had an error code from starting the truck without the plug on the sender, but no code when it was just faulty. I paid $54 for the sending unit at the dealer.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Iv got the same problim. I just havnt had the time to fix or get it fixed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
mine acts up as well. goes to a wacky level then to empty, i just go by mileage for now till i get bored and want to replace it. only that that gets annoying is everytime the gauge drops off, it chimes...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I had a code with mine. Don't recall what is was but it was about miles not matching up with something. :confused013: :confused013::doh:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Got the same code a wile back. It was saying that you cant drive "X" amount of miles without the fuel gauge not moving. If i remember correctly

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Got the same code a wile back. It was saying that you cant drive "X" amount of miles without the fuel gauge not moving. If i remember correctly
Yeah, that sounds like the same one I got.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i just joined the site, i just got my second cummins 97 and the fuel gauge doesn't work. it just lays over on the empty line with the fuel light on. also the cruse and the horn doesn't work. :confused013:
can you help?

I'm having the same problems too! My truck is an 01 though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts