Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Gauge does not work

8724 Views 25 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Toepperwein
My truck is a 96 2wd auto the fuel gauge does not work hasnt since i bought it. the needle never moves and the low fuel light is always on. Where should i start to try and fix this problem i dont have any idea weather its the gauge or sending unit itself any help would be great thanks guys
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,479 Posts
I have similar problem with a 97 2wd i just bought. But the needle does move to a little under 3/4 when i fill it up. The previous owner put a new sending unit in and it did not solve the problem. Just wonderin if i can just replace the gauge or if i have to replace the whole guage cluster. I have not tore into it yet and probably wont be for awhile, nursing a shoulder after rotator cuff surgery.

· Registered
59 Posts
I have the same problem on my 95 dually. my gauge has been stuck on full since I got it not too long ago. The only time it moves is when i fill it all the way up then it will go over the full mark. I didnt know if it was the sending unit bad or the actual gauge that was bad. If anybody knows any tricks to test and see then please let me know.

· Registered
88 Posts
ya my 98 has the same problem and it shorts out like every 30 seconds. I was told it was the the sending unit inside the fuel tank. So im gonna drop my tank soon and repalce it...

· Registered
222 Posts
i got a 96 4wd and mine bounces around and when i fill up it goes to full and then after about 100 miles or so it goes to empty and then when i sit and let it idle it registers again...im pretty sure its the sending unit but then again idk...anyone know of any pricing on the sending units?

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
anyone know of any pricing on the sending units?
$50-60, dealer only.
Beware, a lazy parts guy will tell you that you have to buy the entire tank module for over $300.
Not true at all.
I always tilt the bed rather than remove it totally.
Just remove the driver's side bolts and loosen the passenger side.
Remove tank fill and vent hoses, disconnect rear lights wiring.
Two guys can easily tilt it up about 18" and prop with a 2x4.

Dropping the tank can be a PITA especially if your gauge doesn't work and you have no idea how much fuel is in the tank.

· Registered
1,479 Posts
The sending unit on mine has already been replaced and the gauge still does not work right. Can i just replace the gauge or does the whole cluster need replaced or what else could it be?

· Registered
1,763 Posts

· Registered
284 Posts
Guys this is a very easy fix, tilt the bed as mentioned pull the unit out and the pin that holds the float to the contacts is wore. I just pulled the pin out and put a nail with a big head on it and a spring on the outside of the float arm then a lock collar that has a set screw in it to lock down on the nail and it is fixed. This fix worked on mine and a buddys truck for a few years now. Any question just ask I will try to answer them.

· Registered
338 Posts
Same here!!!:hehe: Seems like a common problem. Going to tilt the bed and pull-er out and fix it!!!

· Registered
1,763 Posts
yeah. I got my 95 4wd 2500 with the fuel gauge not working. I have a chiltons. Would that be the same as the service manual you are talking of?
The Chiltons manual is better used for toilet paper. Too many mistakes and not enough info. The wiring diagrams in the factory service manual is bigger than the Chiltons manual.

· Registered
91 Posts
Looks like I'm not alone LOL I have a 1997 3500 and I started it up the other day and its reading empty with the light on all the time now.

Just been having to Odometer I know around 515 better fill her up again but theres been two times now I ran out its a real pain in the so any of you that know what to do to fix this id be appreciated.

Kenny,

· Registered
914 Posts
there is a partnumber on this forum somewhere for the dealer to just by the sending unit. for around 40-70 dollars.

but i replaced my whole module since it fell apart when i took it out from the rust since it was sitting forever before i bought it. but that whole kit is 309 dollars from rockauto.com when you get the new sending unit there is also a post somewhere that shows how to fix the new sending unit so it wont have the same problem of going out.

i would look it up, but been busy at work. just do a search =)

· Registered
156 Posts
I spent the $70 from the stealership and the gauge still doesn't work. I haven't had time to do any more diagnosing, so I'm not sure what the cause is. My guess is a bad ground/wire somewhere between the sending unit and gauge.

· Registered
914 Posts
I spent the $70 from the stealership and the gauge still doesn't work. I haven't had time to do any more diagnosing, so I'm not sure what the cause is. My guess is a bad ground/wire somewhere between the sending unit and gauge.
do a gauge test. if you unplug the wire off the fuel tank the gauge should drop all the way past E. once you plug it back in, it should move up to were ever. OR with your fuel tank out, plug it in to the gauge wire and move the sending unit arm up and down. your gauge should be moving to fuel with the sending unit arm all the way up. and to E with it down.
if not you got a busted gauge.

also is the kit inside your fuel tank rusted and broken?

mine was. and when i just bought the sending unit and put it in, it still didnt work. so i bought a whole know module kit for 310 dollars and installed. now it works with no problems.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
If your gauge fails the test in the service manual check the connector near the front body mounting pad. There are two connectors there so you need to check your service manual to make sure you have the right one. That connector on my truck was so corroded that I have to remove it and connect the wires directly. If you don't have a service manual you can get one for $30 on CD from Dodge Manuals and Reference Books-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.