Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I thought I would share what my fuel filters look like after ~9,500 miles and ~14 months. I usually buy diesel from higher volume stations here in Iowa (Kwik Star and Murphy). I have the Throttle Up kit on my truck and use Fleetguard in all 3 locations. I buy the filters on Amazon with no trouble and they are authentic Fleetguard filters. All 3 filters are ~$85 shipped to my house.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: CuHead and homeguy

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Ten years? Kept waiting for sputter or stall, but never happened and finally ordered new filter. Wrong choice in order and got wrong filter. I put old filter back in for one more week. May win 'dirtiest filter' prize with this pic.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ten years? Kept waiting for sputter or stall, but never happened and finally ordered new filter. Wrong choice in order and got wrong filter. I put old filter back in for one more week. May win 'dirtiest filter' prize with this pic.
View attachment 930601
That's hard on the fuel pumps...

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 930601
ouch! I'm not sure your fuel system would like this... That filter is well used!

Personally I may stay with yearly changes on the Throttle up filters (under the truck) and go to every other year changes on the engine mount based on what I saw when I changed mine. The spin on canister's are very cheap and easy to do.

Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Amazon failed me on fuel filters; returned filter and ordered 2nd that had same picture as filter I removed, but again sent me wrong filter. Amazon said keep the filter and refunded my money. I found correct filter on Walmart.com for about $20. Fit great. I used a 1/2" socket ratchet with swivel adapter to remove filter, but for install I used 'small' oil filter wrench to tighten cannister. Both worked fine.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amazon failed me on fuel filters; returned filter and ordered 2nd that had same picture as filter I removed, but again sent me wrong filter. Amazon said keep the filter and refunded my money. I found correct filter on Walmart.com for about $20. Fit great. I used a 1/2" socket ratchet with swivel adapter to remove filter, but for install I used 'small' oil filter wrench to tighten cannister. Both worked fine.
If you are talking about the under hood filter for a 6.7L Cummins, I don't think it would be a Mopar or Fleetguard for $20. Many on here have warned about using non Mopar or Fleetguard fuel filters. I used a Wix once before I found this site and man I won't use anything but a Fleetguard going forward.

Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
2008 only has under hood fuel filter. Looked to be high quality; Premium Guard brand. I think this filter is available only online at Walmart, not in the store. If I have a problem, I'll post it. I don't understand the 3 filter idea, seems overkill.

I have a brother who ran his 06? Cummins in rural Illinois and for a while had his own 100 gal gravity fuel tank next to his small barn. One winter, out working shoeing horses, he had a fuel line/filter freeze. Truck was pulled into a barn and had a heater blowing hot air at the problem. I think the water that froze came from his fuel tank in his yard. I'm in VA where I've only seen temps below 0F once in 35 years. He is in N. IL where daytime temps can be -20F. If I expect extreme cold, I'll get some Hot Shot's anti gel fuel treatment, but VA is pretty warm.

Fuel Filter 2500 Walmart.jpg

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2008 only has under hood fuel filter. Looked to be high quality; Premium Guard brand. I think this filter is available only online at Walmart, not in the store. If I have a problem, I'll post it. I don't understand the 3 filter idea, seems overkill.

I have a brother who ran his 06? Cummins in rural Illinois and for a while had his own 100 gal gravity fuel tank next to his small barn. One winter, out working shoeing horses, he had a fuel line/filter freeze. Truck was pulled into a barn and had a heater blowing hot air at the problem. I think the water that froze came from his fuel tank in his yard. I'm in VA where I've only seen temps below 0F once in 35 years. He is in N. IL where daytime temps can be -20F. If I expect extreme cold, I'll get some Hot Shot's anti gel fuel treatment, but VA is pretty warm.
I can appreciate the gelling up situation, I had that happen in 2019! It was about -40F for the daytime high. Now I don't drive my truck below 0F, not worth the PITA.

As far as the 3 filters it seemed like some re-assurance for the HPCR system, but it might be overkill, IDK.

For the filter you posted you can get a Fleetguard FS43258

Just my $0.02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts