Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a fuel filter for my 2010 and nobody around where I live can get one. Is the filter from a 2009 the same as my 2010? Will it work?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure if they are the same but google Genos garage, They have filters and all sorts of goodies and are good to deal with. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have been looking for a fuel filter for my 2010 and nobody around where I live can get one. Is the filter from a 2009 the same as my 2010? Will it work?
nope the '10's are NOT the same as the '09's

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if they are the same but google Genos garage, They have filters and all sorts of goodies and are good to deal with. Hope this helps
Yea, I know about Genoes and I have gotten the filter from them before, I would like to be able to get it from someone in town.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Either the dealer or online. I haven't found a part store that carries them yet. Even WIX doesn't show them on their website.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I have the new style filter in my 2010? Dealer said it could be old or the new one.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Can't your dealer tell you by looking at it?:confused013: I was under the assumption that all 2010 and on, are the new style.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Do I have the new style filter in my 2010? Dealer said it could be old or the new one.
First I've heard that one. All the 2010+ Cummins should have the new cartridge.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ill look tomorrow, too dark now.
Your 2010 has the new drop in style. It is a DIFFERENT part than the previous years. Much easier than the previous gen too. Dealers are now replacing the 08 and 09 filter housings to the 2010 model because its a better design. The housing stays in place and the only replacing you have to do is the filter itself. Took me all of 5 minutes to do. I got the fuel filter from dodge for like $35. Comes with instructions and all. These new 6.7's purge the air from the filter and everything so its a real piece of cake to do. Just make sure you don't pre-fill the filter.
Instructions---
1. Take bottle of some sort (i used arizona tea bottle. Its gotta be fairly big) and place under drain hose above axle.
2. Take phillips screwdriver and turn drain valve (yellow and accesible from top) 1/4 turn counter clockwise.
3. Unscrew filter housing cover 2 full turns using a 1 1/8 inch socket.
4. Allow to drain for a few minutes.
5. Fully remove housing cover (make sure its totally drained of fuel)
6. Remove old fuel filter and inspect
7. Take new filter and insert in the fuel filter housing.
8. Lubricate new supplied gasket with motor oil or vaseline or whatever petroleum product you want (you probably got plenty of vaseline :hehe:)
9. Carefully place new gasket on the outer lip of filter housing.
10. Screw on housing cover (hand tight)
11. Using phillips screwdriver turn drain valve clockwise 1/4 turn to close it back up
12. Tighten filter housing cover using socket to 22.5 ft/lbs? (not sure on the torque spec)
13. Priming the truck is easy. Turn your key to the run position and cycle it up to four time with 2 minute intervals in between each cycle. Do not allow engine to turn over for more than 15 seconds.

BTW it started right up within 5 seconds of the first crank. Total piece of cake.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I changed mine a few minutes ago on the '10 for the 1st time with 13,800 miles on the odo using a Fleetguard filter I picked up from the Cummins shop here in town. It took me 10 minutes, but I wasn't in a hurry. Can't believe how tight that darn lid was, and I'm a big fella. :cheer:

I was a dummy and placed the new o-ring on the outer lip of the housing, but before starting it, I then decide to open the instructions, and read carefully (you're guilty of it too). It said to place the o-ring inside the lid, rather than the way I did it. I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm sure it's seated properly. Guess I placed it on the outside because that's where the old o-ring was when I removed the lid, and not inside the lid. Not sure what I torques it to, but it was fairly snug.

Also said to turn the key on for 4 seconds, and then turn key off. Do this 4 times. I did, and then cranked for about 5 seconds, and then I shut her off. Cranked again for 2-3 seconds and fired right up, smooth as can be.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Haha you caught me on the gasket :hehe: but yeah that friggin cap was on there tight for a plastic nut.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Dealers are now replacing the 08 and 09 filter housings to the 2010 model because its a better design.
I know they are upgrading the older types, but I have yet to find anything about them being changed to a "top cap" design.

That is what the new design being offered looks like for an '09.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I know they are upgrading the older types, but I have yet to find anything about them being changed to a "top cap" design.

That is what the new design being offered looks like for an '09.
:S:
Don't take my word for it as im not sure, but it's what the cummins tech at my local stealership told me. He said they were converting the filter housings to the same unit as on my 2010. :confused013:

Who knows? Each cummins tech has some different story. I do know that the one that comes in our 4th gen trucks looks WAY easier than the attached pictured.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was in the local dealer yesterday and picked up a fuel filter. Dealer told me that the early 2010s have the 09 style and some have the new. Its best to have them look up your vin if your not sure but like stated above there's a visible difference between the two.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts