Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, and I've searched high and low.... doesn't appear that this happens all that often....

My starter died on me today and while I was in there I noticed I've got a dripping leak from the water drain valve on my fuel filter.

I did try actuating it a couple times and got a lot more flow out of it, but I didn't wanna over do it.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Should I take it apart and replace the o-rings? Is it an assembly I should get at the (st/d)ealer (read that as the stealer for their exciting prices).

I will admit I haven't been doing much with the fuel filter.... I did have the dealer change it a thousand miles ago. I let them do the transmission filter, valve adjustment, and replace the AC evap. (I hate working on all 3 of those things).

I do change oil every 5K/mi and air filters every 10K.

Anyhow, the posts here are a huge help and i"ll prolly start changing my fuel filter every 10K now.

I just hate seeing $4/gallon diesel dripping out of my truck! Almost as much as I hate seeing money go over the counter at the parts department.

Just need some guidance on how to best fix this. Technically I'm pretty proficient. I can remove/install the starter in about 20 minutes each way, taking my time and working solo with the truck on the ground.

thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I managed to find a FSM (factory Service Manual) in PDF form.... it's apparently a unit part that is desgned to be replaced.... so that is the plan of attack for tomorrow.

It explains how to remove and replace the drain valve and it's apparently fairly straight forward.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I managed to find a FSM (factory Service Manual) in PDF form.... it's apparently a unit part that is desgned to be replaced.... so that is the plan of attack for tomorrow.

It explains how to remove and replace the drain valve and it's apparently fairly straight forward.
Good to hear.:thumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts