Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I can't get the plastic lid/cap off of my fuel filter. I'm assuming it is standard threads. I grabbed it with a set of channel locks and put some a$$ on it, but it won't budge. It's starting to round off the nut, also I am afriad I'm going to break off the cap. Any suggestions? Am I missing something simple? Please help

It seems like every time I open the hood I end up throwing tools! I bought this truck because they are suppose to be simple, tough, and reliable. This plastic BS is dumb.

Sorry for the rant, my truck has been a pain in my A$$ the past couple weeks, I've had to work on it at least a couple days a week for the past 3 weeks. Its getting old fast.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used a socket to get mine off. I forgot what size but I'll check.

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
You should be able to use a 1/2 in ratchet and extention. little square hole right in the center of the lid.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hole on top is completly round, It doesn't look like it was stripped either? Aftermarket replacement maybe? I guess I'll have to buy a big socket, the biggest one I had was a 7/8s. (My dad has all the good tools and he's a couple hours away.) Should it be tight enough to have trouble getting it off without fear of breaking it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go to sears and find the biggest pair of channel locks you can find and use them on the outer edge of the cap. Im talking HUGE channel locks, lots of leverage. Or you can lightly tap at an angle with a hammer and big flat head or prybar. It can break this way though...I know. Once you get it off replace it. I think the right size socket is a 1-1/16" or something like that

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pulled mine of with my hand.Was tough the firsy time when i bought the truck but since than I just strong arm it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts