Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you replace your fuel filter and what do you use as an indicator that it's time to replace it?

I installed a fuel pressure gauge after the fuel filter as an indicator to when I need to change it out, but I don't know how fast the filter will plug or if there are other issues that could come up by not changing every x miles. So far I have about 10k miles on my filter and my fuel pressure has not changed (~10 psi).

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
That's going to vary from person to person. You may you use high quality fuel, therefore your filter will last longer then someone who uses low quality fuel. Your fuel pressure is a good way to indicate when you need to change the filter.

·
Trying to learn
5,651 Posts
Combination of the volume of Fuel vs time and the LP psi by the Gauge for me.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I installed a fuel pressure gauge after the fuel filter as an indicator to when I need to change it out, but I don't know how fast the filter will plug or if there are other issues that could come up by not changing every x miles.
The fuel pressure gauge is the crystal ball.
You are not blind folded anymore.>:)
Notice the gauge reading, from idle to WOT, during the daily operation, with a new filter.
Consider filter change when there is a drop in 2 psi.:wink2:

·
Supporting Vendors
156 Posts
I as well change mine around or before the 10k mark. I usually fill up at the same fuel stations but when i have to travel and fill up and random older fuel stations i may change it a bit earlier. I have gotten some nasty fuel from some shady gas stations.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
When my stock filter was in place - about every 10,000 - 15,000 miles.

Reactions: tryNto and rghavana

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi All

I haven't searched this yet but seeing as I was reading this thread I thought I would ask here first then go and search :thumbup:

Is there a guide for fuel filter change? I'm sure I could look at it and work it out but it makes more sense to read a guide a couple of times before doing it for the first time!

Many thanks,

Dazzle

·
Trying to learn
5,651 Posts
As long as a filter is not completely clogged, it will filter finer particles the longer it is in place.
At least this is what I was told by a life long mechanic back in the early '70s and has served me well. He drove a '64 Dodge Dart, slant 6 with over 300k miles on the original Engine and car looked like new.

·
Trying to learn
5,651 Posts
Mix it with the old used oil that burns in a shop heater.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Every other oil change wouldn’t hurt filters are cheap high pressure common rail systems are expensive

·
Registered
56 Posts
For the $15 dollar the filter costs i do mine every 5000mi. Approx every oil change. You cant have too much clean fuel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts