Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to replace my fuel filter last night but when I went to use the 1/2 drive to loosen it.. I noticed it was already stripped!!!!! Couldn't loosen it by hand.. any advice on how I should go about it??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Strap wrench available at Lowe's Sears, Home Depot, should get it off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
that's how I did mine might as well buy a new canister while you're at it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You do not need to take the driver side inner fender out. There is an opening in it just above the frame and in line with the filter. After removing the drain tube and opening the drain pet, I go in through that hole with a band type filter wrench and loosen it off. The filter housing will then come out the opening. Ten minute job.

·
ordo ab chao
1,122 Posts
You do not need to take the driver side inner fender out. There is an opening in it just above the frame and in line with the filter. After removing the drain tube and opening the drain pet, I go in through that hole with a band type filter wrench and loosen it off. The filter housing will then come out the opening. Ten minute job.
Yes, you don't have too.....But some people, in some situations it helps. I removed the fender liner the first time because the [email protected] factory over tightened it and I could not get enough leverage. After which I now change the canister from the bottom.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I use a band type wrench also. I believe the O-ring that is used at the top of filter tends to stick to both the filter housing and the mounting base. I think that is the issue. Make sure to lube the O-ring with some engine oil when you reinstall.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use a band type wrench also. I believe the O-ring that is used at the top of filter tends to stick to both the filter housing and the mounting base. I think that is the issue. Make sure to lube the O-ring with some engine oil when you reinstall.
Ditto & do not over tighten.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Same situation with the 08 I recently bought. So, I pulled out the jaw (FRAM) fuel filter pliers. I just hung over DS engine bay from the front ( a little un comfortable ) , grabbed the canister as close to the top of the housing as possible with the pliers and it spun loose .

At that time, I just changed the filter element with some cheap "GKi" filter. It was all i could find at that moment. After a little research, I found out my truck still had the old style fuel canister( 05183410AA). Next morning, ran to cummins and purchased the new style ( FS43257 ) set up and removed the old canister same way as mentioned.

Put new style on hand tight and haven't head a problem with any leaking. I also use clean/new engine oil on O rings.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
No. New filters (about all that is available now) require the new canister style.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ok guys about to do the change ended up removing wheel well.. and using strap wrench.. worked good.. now I just realized I have old style canister .. is my new filter going to work on it???

Unfortunately no, you will need the new canister too.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Agree'd
Why would anyone want to remove the wheel well to change a filter?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok just to keep me rolling I have no choice but head to napa and buy their filter with housing. . Anyone used them?? Can I Use My Cummings Filter With There Housing??? And if so should I still buy the housing that genos sells??

·
Registered
12 Posts
I suspect the Napa filter with housing will have a filter with the Cummins part number on it and be identical to the new filter you have right now so your filter should work in the Napa assembly.

I have not used the Napa assembly but the Napa Gold line is usually made by Wix. Wix is the only filters I have ever used on my 07.5 and every Wix fuel filter I have bought for this truck has had the Fleetguard/Cummins part number on it with a Wix part number on the box. You should have no problem using the replacement filter you have with the Napa assembly in the future, but you can compare before you install the assembly to be sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts