Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the front lower side of my fuel filter cannister is a black plastic lever, is this to drain the fuel? or is it the water seperator?

If not the water seperator, where is the water seperator?

How often should I drain it?

Sorry for the newbie question but it's the only way I'll learn.... :w:

·
Registered
382 Posts
It is to drain the water, the manual says to drain it every morning before the engine is started. However, most people drain it every fill up, every now and then and I am sure most people never touch it.

Make sure after you drain it, the valve is 100% closed, really press it back down good. If it is not and you start your truck, its going to piss out fuel and stall your motor.. Just saving you the trip back to here to look up the engine bleeding instructions.

Also, if your LP is dead.. your going to find out when you change your filter and it cannot fill the can back up again. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is to drain the water, the manual says to drain it every morning before the engine is started. However, most people drain it every fill up, every now and then and I am sure most people never touch it.

Make sure after you drain it, the valve is 100% closed, really press it back down good. If it is not and you start your truck, its going to piss out fuel and stall your motor.. Just saving you the trip back to here to look up the engine bleeding instructions.

Also, if your LP is dead.. your going to find out when you change your filter and it cannot fill the can back up again. Ask me how I know.
Thanks, I drained a couple of weeks ago when I swapped the IP and LP to a Raptor adjustable.

·
Registered
217 Posts
In over 220000 miles the only reason I have ever touched that valve lever is to drain the fuel out of that cannister before I replaced the fuel filter. That was before I put the FASS in and now don't have to worry about it.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
In over 220000 miles the only reason I have ever touched that valve lever is to drain the fuel out of that cannister before I replaced the fuel filter. That was before I put the FASS in and now don't have to worry about it.
:agree2:

I'm the same way... In the six years of owning my Dodge the only time I used that was to drain the filter housing before installing the filter... And only once in its life did I ever see the WIF light come on. (Bad load of fuel).

But now with the AirDog 150 I don't even worry about it anymore really...:w:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts