Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel filter is maddening

4480 Views 46 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  jprover63
Well I went out to change my fuel filter today and 3 hours later it is still on there. The sucker will not budge. I broke my filter wrench, skinned my knuckles and used every different length of extension and socket accessory that I and my neighbours could find - but nothing works. It is frozen on so hard it will take a bomb to get it off. This is the original filter so I think they put it on with an impact wrench! What in the heck would you do in the middle of no where. I wonder why they could not keep the same type of fuel filter that was on my 04.5. So at $120.00 an hour I will have to take it to the dealer. I hate getting ripped off like this but what do you do - except vent at the idiot that designed the filter and it's placement in a ridiculous spot. I guess that's enough for now.
Reactions: fdshelden
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· In Memoriam
3,718 Posts
Just changed mine today. I removed the inner fender well, I think it was 8 bolts and then used a strap wrench to spin the filter. It is still a bear but this really seems to help. Give it a try before letting the stealer change it.

· Registered
1,439 Posts
I understand your frustration :banghead: I would have more than a broken wrench :confused013: I took mine to the dealer, $70 parts & labor and no blood :S:

· Registered
212 Posts
the first one is a pain I think its the clearcoat sprayed on everything i used a oilfilter wrench not the band ones and just reached around the fender liner

· Registered
184 Posts
I agree first one is a bear. But definitely take the fender liner out and turn the wheels the left (i think) gives you much more room.

· Retired Old Fart!
10,495 Posts
It may just take the use of a good pair of BIG channel locks to get it off. I've a set big enough to turn my exhaust pipe. :thumbsup:

· 08 Cummins
2,372 Posts
The first one was a little tight. Just drain the fuel out of it then you can do whatever you need to fo get it out. Driving a large screwdriver through it is one way to get a good bite on it. That's what I do with an oil filter that is being studdorn.

I don't see any need for a trip to the dealer. Just make sure that you disconnect the water in fuel sensor before you get carried away. You wouldn't want to damage that connector.

Good lick with it!

· Registered
177 Posts
I take it that the 6.7s have a different fuel filter than the 5.9s?

· Registered
5,315 Posts
Damn you guys are too little if your having issues with getting a filter off :hehe:
Im 6' 10" tall and 285 and I thought it was a serious MF the first time I changed it. Never been called little.
Your not 5' 4" roid freak with daddy issues are you..Truck so big you have a hard time getiin in. So big they cant wipe their own arse. Those guys are funny.:confused013:

· Registered
2,285 Posts
Im 6' 10" tall and 285 and I thought it was a serious MF the first time I changed it. Never been called little.
Your not 5' 4" roid freak with daddy issues are you..Truck so big you have a hard time getiin in. So big they cant wipe their own arse. Those guys are funny.:confused013:
Nope im 6'6", 304lbs but i do know some guys like you are referring too :lol4:

· Registered
417 Posts
If you look at the bottom of the filter it takes a half in drive that will only let you remove the filter. I have also posted detailed instructions on the best way to remove the filter.

· Registered
6,673 Posts
Originally Posted by MuscleHead
Nope im 6'6", 304lbs but i do know some guys like you are referring too

AW heck is that all I got ya all beat 7 ft and 350lb's and never had a problem with the filter yet just reach through the fender area and twist it off IT'S EASY guy's:lol4::lol4:

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I bought a new strap wrench and filter pliers and an in-between extension that I didn't already have and I still can't that darn filter to budge. I have done everything I can except break it off and I am not going to do that. Off to the shop tomorrow and when I get it back the first thing I am going to do is check to see how tight they put it on. If I can't take it off after one day I will take it back to them and make them loosen it off and then tighten it myself. I have always carried a spare filter with me, especially where there is a risk of getting contaminated fuel and I want to have the ability to take it off on the side of road if I have to.

· Registered
504 Posts
I've changed mine 3 times. I do not remove the inner fender. There is an opening above the frame and just behind the spring which lines up with the fuel filter. I get my steel band filter wrench in there and on the filter. There's only room to turn the wrench 2 or 3" but it works. The opening in the inner fender is large enough to squeeze the new filter through and shove it up into place. Then I snug it up with the filter wrench.

· Registered
76 Posts
I do what simplysmn said except I remove the tire then reach in and there is just enough room to get it out and slide the new one in. The first time I did it I don't recall having much trouble twisting it off, course I'm 6'4 and 270 lbs., but I'm an old fa#t.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.