Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a bit of searching and I am not very clear on a couple things.

I have ordered the billet fuel filter setup from DPP

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com...separator-2003-2011-59l67l-dodge-cummins.aspx

It mounts to an existing bracket on the frame.

However, I would also like to add an Espar Heater. I have heard that they use the same bracket, yet the PDF from Espar seems to indicate that the heater mounts in the engine compartment:

http://www.espar.com/documents/dodge.pdf

So - bottom line - if I mount the fuel filter setup in that bracket am I SOL on mounting the Espar or not?

Thanks for the help!

John

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've got the set-up you link. I now run 2 fuel filters (keep the stock one) and no issues with the stock fuel heater. The espar appears to be a water heater. Are you confusing the 2 things? Fuel heater and water heater?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are you running this set up with just the factory fuel pump or did you add a different one? Been looking at buying one soon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I know they are 2 different things, but the fuel filter setup I bought is designed to mount on this existing bracket on the frame, and I am just wondering if that "existing bracket" is the same one that is for the Espar heater....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yep, you are screwed. The espar installs in the bracket.

Take a look at the write up on the install of the espar -
6.7L Tech Articles - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

But....because you have a mega cab, you will have lots of frame space between the espar and the transfer case or espar and fuel tank, but I don't think your filter mounting block will work unless you make another mounting bracket for it.

Scott.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought so.... What confused me though is how the Espar PDF I linked to above says that the Espar fits "nicely and neatly under the hood".....

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you have a big rig, it probably will fit under the hood, but on the light duty trucks, and Ram specifically, it is easiest if you mount it to the existing bracket on the inside frame rail.

I don't think it would be too hard to fab up a bracket to clamp onto the frame and have you filter setup bolt to it.

Having extra fuel filtration is important, probably more valuable than the espar honestly.

Scott.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. I think the plan will be to use the bracket for the Espar and find a different mounting solution for the filters.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
That pdf file is for the older dodge rams.

The newer ones have the frame mount underneth the truck near the fuel tank/transfercase. I just recently bought a Espar heater, and was looking at the mounting position under my truck.

The part number that was given to me for the specific dodge ram kit is 252822190532.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. The Cummins shop here has one in stock for 1145.00. I bought it.

Any thoughts on the 7 day timer vs the 24 hour timer?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yep. The Cummins shop here has one in stock for 1145.00. I bought it.

Any thoughts on the 7 day timer vs the 24 hour timer?

I went with the seven day timer so I could read the trouble codes if any showed up. I have never used the 7 day function.... The regular timer is all you need if reading the codes is not an issue for you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The kit I bought comes with the mini timer. So I'm not familiar with the 7 day timer to give an honest opinion.

Still waiting for mine to come in the mail, could really use it right now for how cold it is outside. :doh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts