Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to change out the fuel filter for the first time in a new to me 99 Ram 2500. All I have to work with is a Haynes manual that is certainly lacking in any specific details. Looks like the 97-98 filters and then the 2000 filters look easy peasy. The small exploded view of the 99 filter looks a bit more complicated.
Can anyone steer me in making this as easy as possible to change? The high temp here in NH hasn’t been over 24 degrees and I want to change it out as not sure when it was last done.

·
Registered
108 Posts
First, put a pan or something under the truck to catch a pint of diesel fuel. On the fuel filter canister there is a lever. When opened it will drain out the diesel in the canister.

Step 2 is to unplug the water in fuel sensor. Do this before step 3.

Step 3 is to undo the nut at the top; either 14mm or 15mm. The entire fuel filter canister will drop out from below. Take it to a bench.

Step 4, replace the filter and o rings. There are 3. I like to fill the canister with diesel fuel/marvel mystery mix. Your choice but probably a good idea to fill it with diesel. Make sure to close the drain. Clean inside of canister with clean cloth as well.

Step 5 is reinstall. Put key in truck and click the ignition but don't start. This will make the lift pump run for 30 seconds.

Step 6 start the truck. It will probability run for 5 seconds then die. Crank for 10 seconds and wait 20 seconds. Repeat until truck runs. Usually takes me 3 cycles of cranking until it runs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the detailed response. I will print this up and now have an excellent idea of the process. Much thanks as I just picked up a wix filter and pretty pricy for just a filter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No sweat, I just did mine this weekend. If you need an extra fuel filter, rock auto had a few brands on closeout for $9 plus shipping.

·
Registered
20,358 Posts
I would add to his step 5 above to crack teh output line to the VP or the pipe plug in top and let them bleed out the air when you bump the starter. Best to have somebody else bump the starter and you tighten the fitting when it sprays with no air. This is a bit messy but will prevent air from getting to the VP and dying when starting.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I put a fitting with a clear plastic tubing in the top of the filter, in the hole that has a plug in it that is closer to the front of the truck.
I put the filter in dry, install the filter housing, place plastic tubing in a 1 gallon gas can, have someone bump the starter, when the fuel comes out of the tubing with a good stream you're done.

Remove tubing and fitting, replace plug with a thread sealer on it, start truck.

No mess, no cracking open lines, no long cranking.

Do that and your truck will start like you never opened the filter and you wont have the smell or mess of sprayed diesel fuel to contend with.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just to be sure, there is no long cranking. It is honestly like 2 sets of 5 second bursts and the truck runs no problem and you can do it on your own. The whole filter change process is 15 min tops from open to running.

·
Registered
20,358 Posts
There is a good idea from Ed for those that do not want a mess. No long cranking if you bleed as directed. If you do not you will have to bleed the whole system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts