Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the haynes manual says to fill the canister w/clean fuel, but if air enters, then bleed w/the pump button and bleed screw. i would rather not have to go to the fuel station to p/u a fuel can of diesel. i know my '04 duramax the dealer told me to pump about 50 times after changing filter. any comments?
jon

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It should work, but it will be a lot more than 50 times. Pump till you have solid fuel pressure. You will be able to feel and hear the rise of the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
the factory service manual (about $80.00, used .on ebay) says to fill the filter.
i just changed mine and i bought an $8.00 gas can at walmart and put a gallon of diesel in it.

you can do it your way,but i really think buying a gallon of fuel is easier.

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
The way I fill and purge air from the filter after a change is to crack open the bleed screw on top of the filter housing then pressurize the fuel tank with an an air blow gun wrapped in rag. Takes about 15 seconds to fill and purge the filter. Been at least ten years since I've touched that pain in the rear primer button.

If you don't have compressed air and don't want to keep a can of diesel around just fill the filter with diesel fuel additive.

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
We have filled the filters with transmission fluid before. It will smoke real good for a while, but it will start it and it cleans the injector tips real good too. Others will tell you not to do it, but we have done that at least since I've been there and thats 8 years. Never had a problem!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts