Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Been thinking about my fuel economy, and I decided it could use some improvement. I know im gonna get drive like a grandpa, and I need to do more of that, but other than driving habits what are your favorite/most effective mileage mods. How about fuel additives, someone told me I need to add a sulfur additive? Never heard of it...
Any additives that make a substantial difference for you guys...

· Registered
73 Posts
I know nothing about additives, but I do know that tire pressure can effect your mileage. I increased mine to the max on the side wall (50 psi for mine) and I was an increase in my MPG. It was small, but it also cost me nothing.
I am looking into a new intake elbow, I am told that they can increase MPG due to the restrictions in the stock elbow.
A free flow muffler can add mileage improvements along with a free flowing air cleaner system (AiRaid, K&N, etc. )
I have also looked into the Mileage Max and other mileage improving computer tuners, but not used them. They claim 5%-10% over stock.
Last, look into Eccomodders. Its a web site of mostly small econo car nut that do things to get more MPG out of their cars, but some things can be applied to our trucks. Most of the mods that work concern airflow.

If you find stuff that works good for you, post up so we can try it too.

· Registered
186 Posts
You can add two stroke engine oil to your fuel at a rate of about 1:256. This will give you the added lubrication for your fuel system which translates into better mpgs. I got about 1 mpg gain doin this. The bigger benfit thoughis better lube for the fuel system.

· Registered
357 Posts
I use opti-lube's xpd as a lubricant. It is expensive, but supposed to be good for the fuel system and help with anti gel. I didn't notice any mpg gain but it is now winter so it always drops and I let my truck idle so it is hard to determine if it helped or not.

· Registered
128 Posts
I've tried a few things. Super Tech TC-W3 two stroke engine oil from Wal-Mart and Power Service's Cetane Boost worked the best for me. I lost the injector tick with the two stroke oil and the puff of white smoke at start up in cold weather with the Cetane Boost. I din't think it really did anything for my mileage but it sure quietened the injection pressures under acceleration. Diesel Power Magazine has a good article on ULSD and fuel additives.

Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/index.html

· Registered
370 Posts
I added salt to my fuel and gained 12 mpgs. Banks said it would work and it did.

· Registered
93 Posts
I added salt to my fuel and gained 12 mpgs. Banks said it would work and it did.
How much do you add at each fill up? Im making the drive to alaska and would like extra fuel mileage, this seems interesting.:stirpot:

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Man y'all are sorry.

· Registered
128 Posts
That's the first time I have heard of that... :stirpot:

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Don't put salt in your tank.

· Registered
4,641 Posts
crack heads..........

few things will help dont go by the advertised mpg increases.

you want to make everything work as efficiently as it can.

free flowing muffler is a start, the intake plenum (dr side) is not going to do a thing for u except cost money and look cool

other things r propane, free spin hubs (4X4) mileage box, keping the boost low, over/under drive unit. some of that stuff is big $$$

· Registered
28 Posts
Hell i was talkin to this old timer and he told me to put a quart of tranny fluid at every fill up and it worked bout 1 to 1.5 increase wether your in it or drivin like an old lady

· Registered
1,002 Posts
We put tranny fluid in some of our tractors but I'd never put tranny oil in my truck tank.

· Registered
28 Posts
thats what i was thinkin but the guy bout his truck (01) brand new and has added it to every tank and has never had any problems with it

· Registered
4,641 Posts
u can get by with tranny fluid on the older diesels but not the new high pressure ones.

was tranny fluid made to burn???? didnt think so.......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.