Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this one on eBay and if I am allowed to upgrade from a Hemi to a CTD this is the one I want. Just a 3-hour drive from where I live.

I had a question... based on the stats of this truck, would it be for certain that since it's stock it would get an average of 20mpg city and 24mpg hwy?

Or would it be about as bad as my Hemi? I need certain numbers for when I talk to my dad that show getting a CTD for daily driving and towing would be a nice step up.

2003 Ram 2500 5.9L I6 HD (not sure if it's SO or HO) QC/SB 4x4.

·
Registered
99 Posts
depends on tranny type and rear end gearing. typically 4x4 don't get the mileage 2wd does.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
I almost guarentee you won't ever get 24mpg. Looks like it's a 4x but what about trans?

BTW, unless towing, the very mild mileage increase will not outweigh the cost of diesel. You'll end up spending more or about the same amount on fuel.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Page says nothing on the tranny, has stock 3.73 gears.

*Edit: Would a 2WD be better? Do they save money on fuel? I mean... anything is probably better than filling up every other week in my truck at about 11mpg city.

·
Registered
99 Posts
2wd have less drag on the drive line so yes they get better mileage. i average 20mpg. a lot depends on your driving style too. I am REAL light footed with mine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
BTW, unless towing, the very mild mileage increase will not outweigh the cost of diesel. You'll end up spending more or about the same amount on fuel.

i wouldn't say that. I went from averaging 15.5 with my gasser to averaging 20 with my ctd. I run service out of my truck so believe it or not it does pay off ever so slightly.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In mine, even when accelerating, I keep it at or below 2,000rpm and still get an average of 9.5-10.5 in stop-n-go traffic under 45mph.

I found this other truck... it's a 2004 Ram 2500 HD 5.9 with 3.73 gears, 2WD. This would probably be better than the 4x4, eh? This truck is also just over $1,000 less than the one above too.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My 2 wheeler 06, best mileage was last week empty 65mph cruise on was 26.5 on paper, but that was exseptional, average around 22 to 24.5 highway, 373 gears and auto Quadcab, this is my first 2 wheeler in about 30 years, love this truck, I also have a quad XZT tow box.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i would say so. I have never seen a 4wd beat a 2wd in the mileage dept.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i bought mine from this guy. he has a real nice 05 for very reasonable DNMotorCars
He's really close to me :)

I'm liking the black one more than the white... cheaper and can put my own extras on there.

Thanks for the link.

*Edit: I can't drive stick :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
the black one is sharp. you should get close to your mileage marks with that one. if not, after market goodies should help get you closer. i like the look of the 4wd but am not willing to pay the extra money fuel wise for something that i'll never use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts