Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, maybe it is silly, but I like obsessing about MPG. I'm trying to decide what mods I want to do to my truck to get the best MPG, but that is for another thread (unless somebody is burning to comment:)). What I want to know here is how other people calculate their MPG. I started thinking about this when I started thinking about programmers and how they fool the ECM, throwing off the overheads calculations. Are there any electronic devices out there that can give an accurate measurement of fuel consumption during operation? I think the BD Watchdog is neat, but I don't think it will be accurate with a SMARTY running. Side question-does it have an EGT probe or get pyro numbers through the ODB?

Anyway, thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
the best thing to do is divide the miles on the trip meter by the number of gallons it took to fill up...

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well i have a dumb idea, pilots go by hours of fuel and that is kinda smart i think. If you were going down the interstate and not to many stops from full to empty i think pencil and paper would be fairly correct, but in normal driving we all make stops and idle for no telling how long. I was thinking of using the over head timer (if you have one) it only counts when the truck is running, so it would be hours per tank of fuel instead of miles. I know, I know, flame me now for being a tard, BUT it could be done that way to. Let the laughing begin!!!

Thanks Joe

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ditto on the Scan Gauge - but it will take you several tanks to "train" it. You will have to take into account larger tires if you're running them. Bigger the tire, the less miles your odometer will read.

ScanGauge is nice because it can give you an indication of engine load - meaning if you want to hypermile the truck, your goal would be to keep the load down to a minimum (or if you're in the hills, choose the gear that gives the least resistance on the motor.) It's MPG reading directly follows it's load meter though, so you can't expect a 100% accuracy - but its a good tool to keep your mind busy at times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts