Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. Brand new to the site and just bought my first diesel, 01 Ram 2500. Just have a quick fuel question....I'm in Minnesota and its currently about 4 degrees here, just want to make sure I'm ok running winter blended #2 diesel with anti-gel additive. Was told by a friend of mine with a 98.5 24 valve that it was the way to go.

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
you're o'k. Generally when you have winter blended fuel you are fine. Problem happens when there is a unforseen temp drop or some low volume station is stuck with summer blend fuel. That is what you are protecting yourself against.

Reactions: BIG RUMBLER

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot dozer!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
also good to add some 2 stroke oil, i have foudn it lowers the pour point, and gel points a bit.

been using the 30 below 0 freezer at work for my studies(but they don't know)

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
also good to add some 2 stroke oil, i have found it lowers the pour point, and gel points a bit.

i run 2 stroke for lubrication, but i also find it works well in colder temps.

been using the 30 below 0 freezer at work for my studies(but they don't know)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet. How much 2 stroke oil would you recommend per tank? Add with every fill up?:turbo:

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
i add about 1 oz to the gallon, although most people say you can run up to 1/2 oz to the gallon and still fall below the specs for LSD, i run around 1-1.2oz to the gallon.

it also quiets the motor down alot.

Reactions: BIG RUMBLER

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
i add about 1 oz to the gallon, although most people say you can run up to 1/2 oz to the gallon and still fall below the specs for LSD, i run around 1-1.2oz to the gallon.

it also quiets the motor down alot.

if you get blue smoke then you have added to much.

·
Registered
544 Posts
use the tcw3 2 stroke oil. its ashless i believe thats the right kind to use

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
they make diesel additives for a reason fellas :thumbsup: use it, no guess work involved.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I don't have your cold weather issues, but I do have a 01 now running ULSD which doesn't lubricate the VP44 (Should be VP$$), very well. That is why most use 2 cycle oil.
I use Opti Lube XPD for winter, as I am in a warmer climate I use 1/4 oz. per Gallon of Fuel, if colder should be 1/2 oz. per gallon.
It is about $15.00 a qt or $43.00 a gal. cost about the same a 2 cycle, as you use less.

Vevdor

Diesel Fuel Improver

Study results

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
ULSD is all anyone can get from fuel pumps anymore. ULSD has lubricants added to it because the refineries new that they needed to add the lubricant to prevent damage to diesel engines. Also, the diesel addatives ie. Stanadyne, Howes, Service Master all have Cetane Boosters for better mileage and more lubricants for the pumps and injector cleaner all in the same bottle!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts