Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Cummins, (DAMN, why did I wait so long??) :banghead:and after I burned through the first tank of fuel, I was only getting 14-15 mpg. The first thing I have done is replace my fuel filter. What a change, Starts faster, runs smoother, and the overhead computer is now showing 17-19 avg. The filter was solid black. Should i run some sort of additive for a while to help clean up the system? I really dont think the previous owner was that great on maintinence. I know when i was running heavy equipment, we used lucas. Any advise would be appriciated.

2003 4x4 6speed 4inch strait exaust BFG MT

·
Registered
33 Posts
I run Lucas oil injector cleaner/lube and have had great luck all year long. Some people won't agree though - standadyne is also good stuff. Black fuel filters will be somewhat common - just keep it changed.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
a while back there was a thread all about additives and there ability to raise the lubericating property of diesel. The highest lube properties went to biodiesel and then Opti Lube, so i gave Opti Lube a try and so far am happy with it; before i used Stanadyne. I never had a problem with Stanadye but with the low sulfur fuel going into a truck that was not designed for it i wanted to add the lubricity back.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My father put lucas in some older(30+) farm equipment & in no time he had diesel leaking from everywhere. So it is obviously a very good cleaner, probably a better cleaner than lube based on the study posted on here about additves & their lube quality. I run RACOR. You dont hear about it much on this site but it is very popular in the farming community & easy to find in my area. I get the best milage consistantly with it & i have tried many products.

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
Use caution: the overhead calculator is often way off, upto 3-4 mpgs..........

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is a report by a southwest independent lab that study a ton of these additives. I was a Lucas-aholic until I learned about Shaeffers. I have been using it for a few months now and very satisfied. Lucas scored a 5 micron wear scar to the neg. Shaffers had a 160 micron improvement. There were better ones but cost played a factor and how much you use per tank. 4oz of shaeffers per 30gal. Shaeffers also disperses water, cleans, improves cetane, and claims a 5% power gain. I think I can feel it.
Others required much more or cost more per oz.
Hope this helps.
Lusty

·
Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR
436 Posts
There is a report by a southwest independent lab that study a ton of these additives. I was a Lucas-aholic until I learned about Shaeffers. I have been using it for a few months now and very satisfied. Lucas scored a 5 micron wear scar to the neg. Shaffers had a 160 micron improvement. There were better ones but cost played a factor and how much you use per tank. 4oz of shaeffers per 30gal. Shaeffers also disperses water, cleans, improves cetane, and claims a 5% power gain. I think I can feel it.
Others required much more or cost more per oz.
Hope this helps.
Lusty
That's a big no no for common rail fuel injection. All the lubricity in the world won't save you from water entering your fuel injection system.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What's a big no no? Shaeffers doesn't add water, it helps get rid of it. I know that water is not good for CR diesels, but I guess I am confused, what about that product is a no no? I have been running it in the powerstroke.
Lusty

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Purcy,
Use a Cummins approved additive. It will say right on the bottle. Don't listen to anybody's hype. Cummins wouldn't approve an additive that wasn't beneficial to there engines. Think about how much Cummins would stand to loose in warranty claims if they did not fully test a product before endorsing/approving it. I've been using Power Service since the beginning (48,000 miles). They make a Winter and a Summer formula.
Ashtiani

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like power service as well, Shaeffers scored a little higher but they are both good. The Shaeffers is not hype, it states on the bottle that it "meets Cummins L-10 Superior Detergent". It also Meets the Highest Rating of A on NACE.
I am like you, I want to know that it is approved before I use it.
Lusty

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Let it be known:
Dodge, Ford, and GM will on occasion sample and lab test fuel from the entire fuel system then analyze the results if a warranty claim is made and it is suspected to be a fuel related failure. They would not do this for one bad injector, but if you had a catastrophic engine failure, I'd bet your huevos they would! It happened to a friend of mine when he put a hole in a piston of his "PowerJoke" with a propane system. He did remove all traces of the system before bringing the truck into the dealer. The Ford DM ordered the fuel test. Ford did find evidence of his programmer and denied the claim.

Fuel related failures are NOT covered under the 100k mile factory warrantee. Use a "Cummins approved" additive.
Good Luck

·
436 Posts
Dispersing water is not "getting ride of it". The water is emulsified in the diesel and passed through your water separator into you injection system. Any company that make fuel injection equipment or filtration systems like Cummins recommend the opposite of "dispersing water." They want the water to be de-emulsified and trapped in the water separator (fuel filter) then drained from the system.

You can get away with using a water dispersant if you never have more than a teaspoon of water in your fuel system or the course of 5000miles. The problem will occur if you ever receive a larger amount of water in your tank. By larger I mean a cup of water. You may be lucky and never receive this much water in your fuel but it happens to a lot of people out there. Ever hear of some one lose a set of injectors to water and say they never saw the water in fuel light come on? I've seen it happen may times on 5.9L, 6.7L Cummins and 6.6L Duramax's. The majority of these issues where traced back to the additive they where using. GM and even Cummins have bulletins about emulsified water.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What product do you recommend that "gets rid of water?" Does the power services or stanadyne? I read up on the shaeffers and is says on the bottle that it's cummins approved.
I would much rather take the advice of a fuel inj tech than a bottle to avoid water, lube or any other issues.
Thanks,
Lusty

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
What product do you recommend that "gets rid of water?" Does the power services or stanadyne? I read up on the shaeffers and is says on the bottle that it's cummins approved.
I would much rather take the advice of a fuel inj tech than a bottle to avoid water, lube or any other issues.
Thanks,
Lusty
You’re missing the point. What he is trying to tell you is that no additive can remove water from the fuel. It emulsifies (mixes) it so that it can pass through the filter to your injectors where it literally explodes small pieces off. Your best bet is to physically remove the water with something like an AD or FASS. So if you use the AD or FASS you get better water separation, and better filtration. The only thing you need to worry about after that is adding lubrication to the fuel. There won't be any need for fuel "cleaners, or water emulsifiers".

·
Registered
106 Posts
So which ones are "cummins" approved? I use the Lucas right now.

·
436 Posts
Cummins actually only approves there own brand of additive for there diesel engines. Having said that there is the Cummins L10 test. Basically it is two L10 engines connected at the crankshaft and then run for a certain amount of hours. The injectors are removed from the engine then dismantled and inspected for cleanliness. They have a system for rating how clean the additive has kept the injector over a non-treated injector. Basically the L10 test is testing the cleaning ability of the additive. You have to keep in mind though, that your injectors are made by Bosch and not Cummins. The injectors in an L10 are out of the stone age compared to a HPCR injector.

Additives that are water de-emulsifiers are Cummins own brand, Stanadyne and Racor. There are more on the market but these are ones that come from companies that make fuel systems or fuel filtration systems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So the bottom line is buy an AD or Fass and use the Baldwin 7977(just did this today) and use a fuel additive for lube and cleaning? How much do these systems run?
I want to make sure I don't have to worry about messing up the injectors or pump besides good fuel and filters.

Thanks for the great advice, sorry I am a little slow, I am new to the Cummins game.
Lusty

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
My father put lucas in some older(30+) farm equipment & in no time he had diesel leaking from everywhere. So it is obviously a very good cleaner, probably a better cleaner than lube based on the study posted on here about additves & their lube quality.
Not likely. Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube is made up of hydrotreated heavy paraffinic distillate, which is a lubricating oil used in motor oil, crankcase, compressor, gear, transmission, power steering, turbine lubricating oils, and shock absorber fluid just to name a few of it's uses. I think running Lucas is a lot like running 2 stroke.

This subject has been beaten to death around here, but you need to look at product ingredients instead of product brand names. If a product is made up of alcohol and/or solvents, you need to ask yourself where is the supposed lubrication coming from.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts